Currently have a Samsung 10.1 2014 ed, may switch

Search This thread

reinert012

Jun 4, 2010
I bought a Samsung 10.1 2014 ed the other day and it is a nice device, however i am saddened by the lack of development that is currently has and that it wont probably in the future because of KNOX. I think my Walmart still has some Nexus 10s and i was thinking of going this route. I am huge stock android guy, currently running it since day 1 on my GS4. I have read reviews and things about browser lag but this was at launch and im sure rooting and running AOSP solves a lot of issues. I also don't feel like waiting for the Nexus 10 2 whenever/whatever that may be.

Any reason why I should not switch over to the Nexus?

EDIT- Now i'm seeing the LG G Pad 8.3 ....

Last edited:

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
I bought a Samsung 10.1 2014 ed the other day and it is a nice device, however i am saddened by the lack of development that is currently has and that it wont probably in the future because of KNOX. I think my Walmart still has some Nexus 10s and i was thinking of going this route. I am huge stock android guy, currently running it since day 1 on my GS4. I have read reviews and things about browser lag but this was at launch and im sure rooting and running AOSP solves a lot of issues. I also don't feel like waiting for the Nexus 10 2 whenever/whatever that may be.

Any reason why I should not switch over to the Nexus?

EDIT- Now i'm seeing the LG G Pad 8.3 ....

Well the note 2014 seems like itd be better to me. It's got the s pen for notes and more ram. The gpad 8.3 is a good choice if you don't mind the smaller size. They also have a Google play edition so you'll have such android. I would switch for a gpad 8.3 if I could just to try something new though I'm perfectly fine with my nexus 10. With KitKat it's nice and smooth and everything works great for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

reinert012

Jun 4, 2010
Well the note 2014 seems like itd be better to me. It's got the s pen for notes and more ram. The gpad 8.3 is a good choice if you don't mind the smaller size. They also have a Google play edition so you'll have such android. I would switch for a gpad 8.3 if I could just to try something new though I'm perfectly fine with my nexus 10. With KitKat it's nice and smooth and everything works great for me.

I'll never use the S-Pen unfortunately. Now i'm really torn between Nexus 10 and LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition

locovaca

Nov 14, 2013
I had a Note 10.1 2014 for about 12 hours but sent it back, it had a malfunctioning backlight that's too common. I was going to root it, Knox or not, after a few weeks once I had established the hardware seemed ok so it was less of a risk voiding the warranty. I returned it and decided to go a used N10 route.

I didn't think I'd use the S-Pen, and upon playing with it more I pretty much confirmed it. I thought that, even not using the S-Pen, the specs themselves were worth the upgrade over the Nexus 10. And, if you're not afraid to root and take out a ton of the crap, run a different launcher, it may actually be. But I have fairly sharp eyes and could see the Pentile subpixel arrangement, and after already being indecisive about dropping that much on a tablet I was going to ruin the warranty on, it just was too much.

As an alternative to Walmart you can go the Amazon route. They have been up and down on their prices and were generally at the $400 mark until pulling back up to $450-ish. I know our Wal-Mart still has the Nexus 10 at full price, so going the Amazon route would save you a little bit of money. As I posted in another thread, if you're willing to go used you can get a far better deal, usually in the low $300's for a 32gb version.

There is also the Asus Transformer TF701. It has its own list of shortcomings but might be a viable alternative if you don't think you'll be bothered by them. It's priced new at $430 now.

reinert012

Jun 4, 2010
I had a Note 10.1 2014 for about 12 hours but sent it back, it had a malfunctioning backlight that's too common. I was going to root it, Knox or not, after a few weeks once I had established the hardware seemed ok so it was less of a risk voiding the warranty. I returned it and decided to go a used N10 route.

I didn't think I'd use the S-Pen, and upon playing with it more I pretty much confirmed it. I thought that, even not using the S-Pen, the specs themselves were worth the upgrade over the Nexus 10. And, if you're not afraid to root and take out a ton of the crap, run a different launcher, it may actually be. But I have fairly sharp eyes and could see the Pentile subpixel arrangement, and after already being indecisive about dropping that much on a tablet I was going to ruin the warranty on, it just was too much.

As an alternative to Walmart you can go the Amazon route. They have been up and down on their prices and were generally at the $400 mark until pulling back up to $450-ish. I know our Wal-Mart still has the Nexus 10 at full price, so going the Amazon route would save you a little bit of money. As I posted in another thread, if you're willing to go used you can get a far better deal, usually in the low $300's for a 32gb version.

There is also the Asus Transformer TF701. It has its own list of shortcomings but might be a viable alternative if you don't think you'll be bothered by them. It's priced new at $430 now.

thanks for the very helpful reply. I do have mine rooted but i am going to unroot it today and set the counter back to 0.

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
If you look at reviews like android authority they seem to think the lg gpad is the best tablet ever made though a bit expensive for its size range.

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
I told you the note would be better. It has better specs and it's newer. The only thing bad about it is touchwiz. But it's also costs much more than the nexus 10 (100 dollars right?) So you should probably switch back unless you want to try the lg gpad which looks really appealing

reinert012

Jun 4, 2010
I told you the note would be better. It has better specs and it's newer. The only thing bad about it is touchwiz. But it's also costs much more than the nexus 10 (100 dollars right?) So you should probably switch back unless you want to try the lg gpad which looks really appealing

I am going to return it to Walmart today, it was $499 for the 32gb, they didn't have the 16gb. But yes, the LG GPad GPE looks so sexy, but i was on an iPad mini yesterday and i don't think id like the smaller screen. Think i'll stick with the note.

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
I am going to return it to Walmart today, it was $499 for the 32gb, they didn't have the 16gb. But yes, the LG GPad GPE looks so sexy, but i was on an iPad mini yesterday and i don't think id like the smaller screen. Think i'll stick with the note.

Well that's good choice. How big is the I pad mini though? I don't think the 8 inches is too bad. You can try checking out the normal lg gpad at the store since they're the same mostly besides the software.

zerocool79346

Jul 14, 2010
Lubbock
Well that's good choice. How big is the I pad mini though? I don't think the 8 inches is too bad. You can try checking out the normal lg gpad at the store since they're the same mostly besides the software.

Ipad mini is 7.9. For me, anything between 4.7" (or other reasonably sized phone screens, reasonably doesn't include 5.5+) and 10" is a waste of time IMO. I had the OG N7 for almost a year and liked it for playing games because it was easy to hold. Other than that, I hated it. The screen is entirely too cramped and I might as well just be using my phone. The 8" tablets are only moderately better.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

cds36

Jun 10, 2010
Spokane Wa
Let me know i have a rooted 4.4.2 nexus 10 for sale $350 comes with 2 cases and red google smart cover, hdmi adapter not a scratch in it.