[Q] Stuck on 'Rethink Possible', Kies doesn't see me

Tip us?

kerchew
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default odin and download mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackorders View Post
Kerchew- Thank you very much, but kies doesn't see my phone.
it seems that you may need to get into download mode and flash with odin to get it working, something along the way had to be messed up. im fairly new to the shin dig, but that is what i had to do when i got stuck in that boot screen and ended up just rooting my phone.

snackorders
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thank you very much, but I learned that too late. I appreciate your efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerchew View Post
not sure if you have an external sd card, or if you had kies before you can backup using kies all your data. google drive is a good tool as well for things like pictures.
personally i use avast for my backups like photos and apps. it is only with the paid version, but i like to have all my bases covered and without root access, avast is a good tool.

now getting the pictures off may be an issue since the factory restore and reset. i believe those things are lost unless you somehow had them on an sd card in the phone as external memory.

long reply for short question, do you have an external sd card?
I learned that too late. I appreciate your efforts.

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2663

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
... Do you still believe my pics can be retrieved?
It depends on whether the problem is firmware related, or hardware related. If there is damage to the emmc memory, then it is unlikely that you will get the pictures back. At this point, from what you've told me, I'd say that memory damage is a possibility, but still rather unlikely. I think there is a very good likelihood of getting the pictures back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2663

DONATE TO ME
Go to the download repository from the link in my signature. There is a link near the top of the page to download Odin3 v1.85 from XDA-Developers. That link still works. Also at the bottom of the page the link for the latest stock, I777UCMD8 is a working link. Download both Odin3 and the stock UCMD8 tar file 7z. Extract I777UCMD8_I777ATTMD8_I777UCMD8_HOME.tar.md5 from the 7z archive.

You will need a windows pc.

Follow and recheck each of the following steps. Do them in order listed, as some steps are dependent on previous steps

1.) Open Odin on the Windows Desktop.
2.) Have the USB cable plugged into USB port on the computer, but *Not* plugged in to the phone.
3.) Shut the phone off.
4.) While holding down the vol+ & vol- keys (but not the power key), plug micro-usb plug into phone.
5.) In Odin, you should get the yellow box under where it says ID:COM with the text 0:[COMx], and in the Message area, <ID:0/00x> Added!! where x is some number, usually 1-8.
6.) In Odin, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked and all other items are not checked.
7.) Click on the PDA button. Browse to the I777UCMD8_I777ATTMD8_I777UCMD8_HOME.tar.md5 file that you extracted earlier and select it so its path appears in the text edit box next to the button.
8.) Make sure the check box next to the PDA button is checked.
9.) Click the Start button.
10.) You should see the green progress bar advancing.

Let me know if it flashes successfully. Regardless if it works or not, before you close Odin, copy out the information in the Messages section and post it back here. You have auto reboot checked so it will try to boot the phone into the new system. If the flash is successful, but the phone does not boot successfully, turn the phone off, then boot into recovery using the three buttons, and perform a wipe data/factory reset and then try to boot into the system.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snackorders
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default At step 4, should I be presented with this:

If so, volume up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	you tell ME.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	2450885  

tedkunich
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
If so, volume up?
Yep.
The Following User Says Thank You to tedkunich For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snackorders
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, so much! I won't be able to get back to it for several hours, but will work on it tonight and see what happens next.

snackorders
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Creepyncrawly, thank you so very much...

You are the man! It didn't boot successfully initially, but I did as you instructed and the phone breathed life once again. The 300 images I had stored in it actually turned out to be over 1300. Many of them are tiny bmps (banners and such), etc., but many of them, for example, quite a few gif files which I never knowingly save, my evil twin must have downloaded -so much garbage, so now I need to learn how to delete them from the phone. Fear not- I won't bother you with that. It should Google fairly easily- famous last (IT) words. But I am so very glad to have gotten my images back, not that I remember who some of those babies are, but thank you. I appreciate it more than I know how to say.

Following is the contents of the Odin message. Thanks again! I especially appreciate your being so patient, understanding, like a true professional behaves, not arrogant or pompous as I see so many wannabes treat those less knowledgeable.

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I777UCMD8_I777ATTMD8_I777UCMD8_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> boot.bin
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> Sbl.bin
<ID:0/005> param.lfs
<ID:0/005> factoryfs.img
<ID:0/005> zImage
<ID:0/005> hidden.img
<ID:0/005> cache.img
<ID:0/005> modem.bin
<ID:0/005> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/005> RES OK !!
<ID:0/005> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/005> Removed!!
<ID:0/006> Added!!

creepyncrawly
Old
(Last edited by creepyncrawly; 13th December 2013 at 10:41 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2663

DONATE TO ME
@snackorders,

Great.

What you need is "Format USB storage - Erases all data on device's USB storage, such as music and photos". It should be under Settings > Storage. this is ok to do while the system is running. In other words, you don't do this from recovery.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]