XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help Me Get/Develop Google Glass

Tip us?

apples4339
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Help Me Get/Develop Google Glass

I received an invite to the Google Glass Explorer Program after I signed up to be notified of its availability. Unfortunately the timing could not have been worse. Just 3 weeks ago I got laid off from my Engineering Job and am currently working on paying off my student loans.

I have been so interested in Google Glass because I have limited eye sight and view the device as a great step towards providing people like myself a great aid in their everyday life. My goal has been to get my hands on a unit and develop apps for those with limited vision. I saw Google developers showing off the translating capabilities just a short while ago and view it s a great proof of what this device can do.

I am trying to get some help with funding for this undertaking. I know that the Android Community is a great group to reach out to for some potential help. I have set up a gofundme.com to try and get some help with the cost, since its not a great financial investment given my current situation. However I really want to get my hands on it and really try to use my experiences and engineering background to develop somethings people with limited vision can utilize.

If you are interested in helping me out please consider donating:
Help Me Work With Google Glass Explorer by Matt Appleman - GoFundMe

Thanks.

lordscipio
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by apples4339 View Post
I received an invite to the Google Glass Explorer Program after I signed up to be notified of its availability. Unfortunately the timing could not have been worse. Just 3 weeks ago I got laid off from my Engineering Job and am currently working on paying off my student loans.

I have been so interested in Google Glass because I have limited eye sight and view the device as a great step towards providing people like myself a great aid in their everyday life. My goal has been to get my hands on a unit and develop apps for those with limited vision. I saw Google developers showing off the translating capabilities just a short while ago and view it s a great proof of what this device can do.

I am trying to get some help with funding for this undertaking. I know that the Android Community is a great group to reach out to for some potential help. I have set up a gofundme.com to try and get some help with the cost, since its not a great financial investment given my current situation. However I really want to get my hands on it and really try to use my experiences and engineering background to develop somethings people with limited vision can utilize.

If you are interested in helping me out please consider donating:
Help Me Work With Google Glass Explorer by Matt Appleman - GoFundMe

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your job. In terms of google glass for those with limited eye sight, I applaud the dream, but the reality is that you actually need really good vision to use google glass. The screen is TINY. I have 20/15 vision and I often have to squint to read what the text says. In its current form, I dont think it would work at all for someone with limited eye sight. Just wanted to give you a heads up before you invested the $1,800 with those expectations.

In terms of donations, it would help if you were a recognized xda developer or contributor rather than this being your first post on the forums. At least a link to your development work on github or contributions on stack exchange would definitely help sway those generous enough to donate. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck!