XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Blown Speakers??

Tip us?

gist901
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Blown Speakers??

Just started to play some music the other day and noticed that my speakers are blown, has anybody had this issue?? Will Verizon/HTC warranty the phone for just blown speakers.

andybones
Old
Thanks Meter 8389

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gist901 View Post
Just started to play some music the other day and noticed that my speakers are blown, has anybody had this issue?? Will Verizon/HTC warranty the phone for just blown speakers.
if you purchased the device from Verizon you can def get a refurb warranty replacement, I highly recommended dealing with customer service rather than go to the store, (they can give u a new phone anyway unless within 14 days so it's a wasted trip)
1-800-922-0204, just press 0 until it asks for ur billing password and it'll bring you to a rep.
Will be no issues getting refurb with blown speakers.

If wasn't bought from Verizon then I'd call HTC see if they fix for free. I've never sent to HTC, only gotten refurbs from VZW, so no idea how HTC handles these things.
Best of luck!
Team Ecliptic - Member/Co-Lead Developer

Bad Seed Customs! - Member/Developer

Motorola Droid > HTC Eris > HTC Incredible > HTC Incredible 2 > Galaxy Nexus > HTC Rezound > HTC Incredible 4G > Samsung Galaxy S3 > Samsung Galaxy S4 > HTC One M7 > HTC One M8

gist901
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones View Post
if you purchased the device from Verizon you can def get a refurb warranty replacement, I highly recommended dealing with customer service rather than go to the store, (they can give u a new phone anyway unless within 14 days so it's a wasted trip)
1-800-922-0204, just press 0 until it asks for ur billing password and it'll bring you to a rep.
Will be no issues getting refurb with blown speakers.

If wasn't bought from Verizon then I'd call HTC see if they fix for free. I've never sent to HTC, only gotten refurbs from VZW, so no idea how HTC handles these things.
Best of luck!
Thnx andy for the info, will definately give it a go and see what happens.

By the way, I'm on Bone Stock 1.4.1 and loving every sec of it. Great work!!

thnx
The Following User Says Thank You to gist901 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kdj67f
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
I have had two different Ones blow speakers so far. I work in a metal fab/welding shop and the top speaker collects ferrous dust very quick. But, Verizon has sent me two refurb units with no problems. I ended up cutting a screen protector up to cover the speaker grilles and have had good luck since.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
HTC One (S-off, stock, TWRP, rooted)
HTC Rezound (S-off tester phone)
HTC Incredible (old reliable backup)
Kindle Fire, Viewsonic Gtablet, Zune HD
Since Windows Mobile 2003SE

freddie813
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I've had the speaker issue. I believe that mine was also due to metallic dust exposure. Oddly enough, I haven't had a phone with that problem since the original Droid Incredible days. My Thunderbolt, Rezound, and DNA all seemed immune to any speaker distortion issues.

I bought my ONE through Best Buy, so I went through them instead of Verizon or HTC for a replacement/warranty. What a pain in the butt, they replaced it for free, but the replacement phone was refurbished and the screen is not level with the speaker grills. I am not thrilled with the build quality of the replacement, but at least everything works as it should.

kdj67f
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
I'm telling you, the screen protector with a few tiny holes poked in it is the trick! It does muffle the sound slightly, but the amount of metal that it keeps out is amazing. Just the amount of dust that finds it's way into my pocket is crazy.

bwthor20
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Default Fix it with a magnet...

I've had this happen on multiple phones from my Inc 1 and up to my HTC One.

I take a magnet I've removed from an old hard drive, and then crank the music while moving the magnet around by the speaker openings. I always pull out some really tiny particles, and have fixed multiple speakers using this method.

jski711
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Those that have gotten a refurbished device did you relock and return to stock before sending back. I'm having the same issue with my speaker and my headphone jack not working properly. Thanks.

kdj67f
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
I returned my phone's to the stock ROM, recovery and locked the bootloader but left them s-off when I returned them.