XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

iMagnet dock - after having it for a few weeks

Tip us?

nunjabusiness
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Default iMagnet dock - after having it for a few weeks

My opinion of the iMagnet dock has slipped a bit after having used it for a while now.
I got it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the price was right.
The mounting sticky suction cup works great and it is not too large so it is not obtrusive.

However ... the magnet is just not strong enough. Once you put a case on, the strength (or lack thereof) becomes more apparent.
I put an el cheapo s-view case on and since it covers the back instead of replacing the battery cover, the extra thickness insulates it from the magnet a bit too much.

Yes, it holds the phone. However, the choice of a round-shaped magnet may have been the big mistake.
Since the magnetic field is round, it allows the phone to pivot around the central axis and after a bit of driving, the phone tilts to one side or the other.
A rectangular magnet or at least a much stronger one would probably correct this.

When my Spigen Slim Armor case arrives I will try it out and see if the s-view case if just too thick or what.
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

blwnv8
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I've had the whole phone rotating and less magnetic strength as you op. I used it with my s3 and put the metal plate inside the plastic on my seidio ext battery case. The phone was pretty heavy and it did hold pretty well. A good pothole could knock it off though. It'd be much stronger on the outside of the case but way to ugly.

Now I'm using a ballistic sgmaxx this case is way to thick to put it in the inside. Plus I have a wireless receiver for charging making it a no go. And on top of all that even if I placed the plate on the outside it blocks the wireless charging from working.

It really sucks because I loved that mount. No tabs to adjust, no pieces to break or lose, no clicking it in place and pushing a button to release.

G_Prodigy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
My opinion of the iMagnet dock has slipped a bit after having used it for a while now.
I got it at Amazon: and the price was right.
The mounting sticky suction cup works great and it is not too large so it is not obtrusive.

However ... the magnet is just not strong enough. Once you put a case on, the strength (or lack thereof) becomes more apparent.
I put an el cheapo s-view case on and since it covers the back instead of replacing the battery cover, the extra thickness insulates it from the magnet a bit too much.

Yes, it holds the phone. However, the choice of a round-shaped magnet may have been the big mistake.
Since the magnetic field is round, it allows the phone to pivot around the central axis and after a bit of driving, the phone tilts to one side or the other.
A rectangular magnet or at least a much stronger one would probably correct this.

When my Spigen Slim Armor case arrives I will try it out and see if the s-view case if just too thick or what.
Any luck with the Spigen Slim Armor case? I have the Slim Armor right now and am debating this mount but after reading this thread, I'm a little skeptical. I was thinking to put the round disk between the TPU and Hard Shell of the case so that there's less insulation of the magnet.

sparky19692
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I have had this mount for over 18 months starting with my s3. I can see where with the extended battery it may be an weight issue. I have the slim armor case and with the plate between the 2 layers (the hard plastic and the rubber) on my S4 it works great. even in the pot hole state of Michigan. I don't know if the other people are using the large plate that is included but its almost a must in order to keep the magnet in full contact with metal.

nunjabusiness
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Funny enough, with the Spigen Slim Armor, it works better than the el cheapo sview I was using.
The $5 slim armor from AliExpress is just plain awesome, although a little hard to open..

shoutcast
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I was thinking of getting one of these.. now I am not

blwnv8
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoutcast View Post
I was thinking of getting one of these.. now I am not
Your missing out.
I'm going to have to figure out how to use one with wireless charging. Maybe a rare earth magnets instead.

nunjabusiness
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnv8 View Post
Your missing out.
I'm going to have to figure out how to use one with wireless charging. Maybe a rare earth magnets instead.
I swear I have been thinking that ever since I got it, I even wrote the MFR and told them if they put an induction charger in there somehow they would make a million fast.