Post benchmark tests here.

Tip us?

russian392
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahammmmmmm_ View Post
I've actually tried doing something like that to some extent. When 2 years ago when I tried adding a Samsung galaxy s 2 camera to my $200 prepaid 800mhz phone without a GPU lol I figured since they both used the same adaptors and the camera was a standalone hardware component it'd be easy even though the camera one the s2 was bigger I could just make a cut out on my cheap phone. But as many phone's specs & performance it was allot better on paper
i think the most probable thing to do with a phone as far as hardware modding would be either ram or rom expansion? cause those are standalone chipsets and components. while cpu is like welded (saudered) onto a other chip
Motorola Atrix HD - Cyanogenmod 11 - Benchmark: 17260 @1.9GHz

HTC First - Rooted and S-OFF - Benchmark: 15980 @1.4GHz

LG Thrive - Cyanogenmod10.1 @Rashed97 - Benchmark: 5600 @800MHz

ZTE Avai - AOSP 2.3.7

Owner Of XDA Premium App

russian392
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Here you go. First vs One!

Sent from my HTC first using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386886804666.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	2451214  

ZTE Avai - AOSP 2.3.7

Owner Of XDA Premium App

r00tb33r
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian392 View Post
i think the most probable thing to do with a phone as far as hardware modding would be either ram or rom expansion? cause those are standalone chipsets and components. while cpu is like welded (saudered) onto a other chip
No. Both RAM and onboard flash are soldered onto the board via BGA mounting on all current phones. Without a vacuum rig, a reflow oven and a bucketload of lucky paws you should just forget about it.

russian392
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00tb33r View Post
No. Both RAM and onboard flash are soldered onto the board via BGA mounting on all current phones. Without a vacuum rig, a reflow oven and a bucketload of lucky paws you should just forget about it.
Darn it. Why can't they make a smartphone at least "like" a PC. So that no matter what, you can install anything and change hardware. I think that's what that "block" phone or Lego phone did or what ever its called

ZTE Avai - AOSP 2.3.7

Owner Of XDA Premium App

ohthesepaws
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Darn it. Why can't they make a smartphone at least "like" a PC. So that no matter what, you can install anything and change hardware. I think that's what that "block" phone or Lego phone did or what ever its called

There are a couple concepts out right now in progress. The bigger one of the two is called Project Ara by Motorola. The other is called Phonebloks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to ohthesepaws For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abrahammmmmmm_
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthesepaws View Post
There are a couple concepts out right now in progress. The bigger one of the two is called Project Ara by Motorola. The other is called Phonebloks.

I know if project Ara but I feel as if we would have to say goodbye to developing if that suddenly took off

russian392
Old
(Last edited by russian392; 13th December 2013 at 06:20 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:

Yep, phone blocks thats what i meant. cool consept, but will be quite hard to actualy make effective, i mean to make a phone 1. be durable using that system would be hard, it could just fall apart. 2. the screen is ONE piece, meaning how is that a block? 3. The blocks will be quite thick i think there for my htc first would be like what 11mm thick minimum? and so on.
GREAT concept though, nothing against it. Personally the best concept out there at the moment is the Jolla Sailfish phone.

EDIT. just looked up project ara, the whole idea of a modular phone is Feasible, but it wouldn't actually work. Reason? well, remember when android came out, and then about at the point of android 2.2 foyo with the droid X, the whole "android" thing was counted as a big joke. although by us tech geeks who are actually interested in how technology works, advances and so on, its easy, the better choice is the Droid X. But for 90 percent of people it was still the iphone, and still is for a big chunk of the world. what has happened is that apple stopped making a big deal out of the whole "android copied us" thing. So now, androids are still NOT appealing to people who are NOT interested in any way in technology, therefore number one choice would be an iPhone. now for us tech geeks, its easy to go and move on to project ara or phone blocks, cause we like doing that, getting something cooler and better and so on. But now that people have finally figured out android and its versions and manufacturers and have "settled down", for them to acquire more knowledge about processors and ram and cameras and screens and ppi and so on, is too much work (um...no more like 10 minutes worth of research on Google) but people will be to lazy to actually take interest cause its "too complicated" like all my fellow iphone lovers say. Seriously have you ever talked to a hardcore apple fan who has never even SEEN an android like the htc one let alone touched it and used it? YOU CANT talk to them, they just wont listen. no imagine telling them about phone blocks! they will say...cool...and thats it, they will be to lazy and to arrogant to drop what they have now and move on.
so will it work? um, maybe. it would be like Microsoft holding a few percent of marketshare. and as for popularity...once people get into "using their own heads"...they will give up. so it will work practicaly, but in the real world...it wont work WELL

well, all i can say is hail progress, technology, and android :/

But we will be able to have fun trying to see who can get the best benchmark score! hahaha

ZTE Avai - AOSP 2.3.7

Owner Of XDA Premium App

ohthesepaws
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Yep, phone blocks thats what i meant. cool consept, but will be quite hard to actualy make effective, i mean to make a phone 1. be durable using that system would be hard, it could just fall apart. 2. the screen is ONE piece, meaning how is that a block? 3. The blocks will be quite thick i think there for my htc first would be like what 11mm thick minimum? and so on.
GREAT concept though, nothing against it. Personally the best concept out there at the moment is the Jolla Sailfish phone.

EDIT. just looked up project ara, the whole idea of a modular phone is Feasible, but it wouldn't actually work. Reason? well, remember when android came out, and then about at the point of android 2.2 foyo with the droid X, the whole "android" thing was counted as a big joke. although by us tech geeks who are actually interested in how technology works, advances and so on, its easy, the better choice is the Droid X. But for 90 percent of people it was still the iphone, and still is for a big chunk of the world. what has happened is that apple stopped making a big deal out of the whole "android copied us" thing. So now, androids are still NOT appealing to people who are NOT interested in any way in technology, therefore number one choice would be an iPhone. now for us tech geeks, its easy to go and move on to project ara or phone blocks, cause we like doing that, getting something cooler and better and so on. But now that people have finally figured out android and its versions and manufacturers and have "settled down", for them to acquire more knowledge about processors and ram and cameras and screens and ppi and so on, is too much work (um...no more like 10 minutes worth of research on Google) but people will be to lazy to actually take interest cause its "too complicated" like all my fellow iphone lovers say. Seriously have you ever talked to a hardcore apple fan who has never even SEEN an android like the htc one let alone touched it and used it? YOU CANT talk to them, they just wont listen. no imagine telling them about phone blocks! they will say...cool...and thats it, they will be to lazy and to arrogant to drop what they have now and move on.
so will it work? um, maybe. it would be like Microsoft holding a few percent of marketshare. and as for popularity...once people get into "using their own heads"...they will give up. so it will work practicaly, but in the real world...it wont work WELL

well, all i can say is hail progress, technology, and android :/

But we will be able to have fun trying to see who can get the best benchmark score! hahaha
Quick point, Android currently has most of the market share. I believe it's 52%? While apple is at like 25?

Ara is closer to completion, though this is only the first version. Also remember Google owns Motorola lol.

russian392
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Quick point, Android currently has most of the market share. I believe it's 52%? While apple is at like 25?

Ara is closer to completion, though this is only the first version. Also remember Google owns Motorola lol.

last time i check its 73%

ZTE Avai - AOSP 2.3.7

Owner Of XDA Premium App