5,600,053 Members 43,459 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] very important question about fraud! Please read!

Tip us?

clsifford
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [q] very important question about fraud! Please read!

Would it be possible to cook a ROM with something hidden in it that would send the personal information of anyone who flashes that ROM back to the cooker?

Last week I found out that someone stole my debit card info & attempted to charge over $75,000 to it in various transactions. One transaction alone was for over $54,000 in men's clothing at Zappos.com. I had the card terminated and a new one issued. That was last Tuesday. My wife just called me & said her card was declined at the gas station. She called the bank & they told her that her card had been frozen due to excessive charges. Looks like they had BOTH of our card numbers. We have no online retail accounts that have both of our debit card numbers. We have a joint checking account that the two debit cards in question are linked to. The only two scenarios I can come up with are: A. someone hacked the bank itself, or B. I flashed a custom ROM that was designed to gather personal information from the user & send it back to the cooker. Is option B even possible?

ThatKawaiiGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 792

DONATE TO ME
Certain roms ask permission if you want to allow them to collect personal data "anonymously". Was it unofficial the one you tried?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app

Sprint LG Optimus G
HTC EVO 4G
LG Optimus S