5,599,616 Members 44,927 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] First time Android user, Nexus 7 rooting questions!

Tip us?

xcha0tic
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] First time Android user, Nexus 7 rooting questions!

Hello everyone, I'll start off with a little introduction and I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section for my questions. First off my name is Chris, I've been a long time apple user. I've been with apple since the iPod Video. :P I've always jailbroken my devices and currently have a 5s and iPad 3. I'm very tech savy you could say so undergoing a process that maybe technical I'm not sure of the rooting process for androids, But i'm sure I'm more than capable of.
Anyways this will be my first android device ever, lets take a moment and thank my girlfriend for buying it, well will be buying it this weekend as a christmas gift. From what I've been reading the nexus 7 is an amazing tablet, and as my first android device I'm glad to hear all the positive reviews.
What exactly is the rooting process? Do I need anything extra beside the device? Just curious on that since I know its a different device all together but for both the xbox 360 and ps3 you need outside supplies to apply their very own rooting I guess we can call it.
On my jailbroken devices, what I mainly use it for is tweaks, themes and emulators.
What exactly does rooting provide for me? Like the positives or erm similarities to jailbreaking a iDevice?
Is it possible to root the current nexus and firmware? I know over at apple jailbreaking is prevented through firmware updates and currently not possible to jailbreak iOS 7.
Does android also do this?

I believe these are all my questions for now.
Little facts about me,
In my 3rd year of college, IT major/web developer.
Hacked/Jailbroken/Rooted? Devices
iPad 3
Xbox 360(flashed)
Nitendo Wii
3ds via supercard dstwo
psp back from the old school days with pandora battery

Also looking forward to being apart of the android community, and owning a nexus 7.

spiralspirit
Old
Thanks Meter 6
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2389107

This more or less automates rooting your nexus 7.
The Following User Says Thank You to spiralspirit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LittleConfucy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
If you root you can have (mainly):

Custom Kernels (a modification of Android's kernel) that let you make deep changes on the device, for example over or underclocking the processor and GPU.

Custom ROMs (a modification of the device's system image) let you change many things in the OS, but not as deep as a custom kernel (you can't overclock or undervolt the CPU or GPU by only changing the ROM, you need a custom kernel for that)

If you want something deeper look for it on Google

Sorry for my english, since I'm from Argentina
The Following User Says Thank You to LittleConfucy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mulperi
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I would also recommend the wugfresh nexus root toolkit. Just make sure you update it after first start.

You need to unlock bootloader that means wiping your nexus completely. Then you can root using the tool.

I would not install custom roms on a nexus, youŽll anyway get latest goodies from google. However,
- AFWall+ firewall is very good for privacy protection
- AdAway gets rid of most ads
- Greenify saves battery and keep device smooth
- Orbot can enable tor routing for specific apps, such as orweb browser

Just follow the toolkit guidelines to first install pc drivers etc and youŽll be fine. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to mulperi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xcha0tic
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks everyone, But custom roms, would that be like a custom firmware? What exactly does a custom rom do or a specific or best custom rom out there?

evoer
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Custom ROM basically=the os
Sent from a Galaxy far far away

mbamberg
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Here's a copy of an email I sent to friends that bought a Nexus 7:

Here are several links that you can use for your education and utility:

Toolkit: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Videos for using the toolkit:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2381698

Android general education thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=709220

More explanation than you probably want, check out post #4 for special terms:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2220397

Comprehensive Glossary:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1466228

HAVE FUN!!
The Following User Says Thank You to mbamberg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Cirelli
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the topic.
I've a question!
After making root at the N7, are there any problem in upgrading Android via OTA?

Thanks

xcha0tic
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the responses everyone.

juliatan
Old
(Last edited by juliatan; 14th December 2013 at 10:42 AM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 29
Many people seem to think you can only root wiith flashing TWRP over stock recovery. You can easily root with stock Android and stock recovery. Just in stead of 'flash' TWRP use the command 'boot'. That way you temperary boot TWRP via adb fastboot and with usb-cable attached. And than can flash SuperSu without loosing stock recovery. (Provided you already unlocked bootloader).

To make it easier for future OTA's and keeping root. Just before upgrading from by Google server pushed OTA 4.4 to 4.4.2 I bought Pro version of SuperSU and enabled 'Ota Survival Mode'. Worked great, after OTA still root. But off course it's wise to first keep an eye on issues and updates of SuperSu before applying future OTA.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

My personnal :manual to temperary load TWRP in Dutch. Hopefully translate workes. Perhaps I can translate when back home

TWRP recovery tijdelijk laden zonder te flashen over stock recovery:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Kopieer eerst de met TWRP te flashen zip-file(s) naar de interne SD van Nexus. (Bijv. laatste SuperSu)

2. Op PC downloaden en uitpakken Android Sdk. Ga naar map 'Platform' of 'Platform Tools' (map met adb, fastboot, etc.), https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

3. Download (en uitpakken) laatste TWRP voor Flo en kopieer naar map Platform (Tools) met adb fastboot, etc. Geef de recovery-twrp.img eventueel voor het gemak een kortere naam. http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/flo

4. In de map met platform tools en twrp.img terwijl <Shift> ingedrukt houdend met rechtermuisknop ergens in map klikken en dan met links klikken op 'Opdrachtvenster hier openen'

5.Op Nexus 'Usb Foutopsporing' (debugging) aanzetten via 'Opties voor Ontwikkelaars'. Daarna Nexus uitzetten.

6. Nexus via Usb-kabel aansluiten op PC. De Nexus dan aanzetten tot Nexus 7-map (via Verkenner) op PC verschijnt

7. In eerder gestart Opdrachtvenster typen 'adb devices' en druk op <Enter>. In opdrachtvenster wordt als het goed is aangegeven of er connectie is met de Nexus.

8.Op de Nexus verschijnt tegelijkertijd het bericht 'Toestaan Usb Debugging?'. Druk op oké.

9.In opdrachtvenster op PC typen 'adb reboot bootloader' en druk op <Enter>

10.Om TWRP te laden nu in opdrachtvenster typen 'fastboot boot twrp.img (met voor twrp.img de correcte bestandsnaam)

Nu wordt TWRP tijdelijk geladen voor gebuik zonder de recovery over de stock recovery te flashen.

---------------------------

In TWRP zips flashen:
---------------------

1. Zip(s) moet(en) dus al van te voren op interne SD gekopieerd zijn (Bijv. laatste SuperSu)
2. Druk in TWRP op 'install'
3. Blader vervolgens naar de gewenste zip, die geflashed moet worden, en kies die zip-file door er op te drukken.
3.Vervolgens 'Swipe to confirm flash' uitvoeren
5. Reboot. (Als SuperSu geflashed heb je nu root).