Tip us?

Thatgrass
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 540

DONATE TO ME
Default How to root - recovery - rom

Hey folks,

I have quite some experience with rooting etc, but I don't know how to work with odin.

Could someone provide some kind of guide that will help to install a custom recovery? Via odin

Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9205 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Devices
Sony Ericsson W250 > Samsung Galaxy Gio > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy Note > HTC One X Plus > Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 > HTC One M7
Acer Iconia W700

starmaster10
Old
(Last edited by starmaster10; 26th January 2014 at 10:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 157
Here is info on that i had saved for a while now, and this works the same way for flashing recoveries also.

Before Flashing A ROM or .TAR file via ODIN

First, download the latest version of ODIN you can find. i use odin 3.07 which works great
Install ODIN on your computer.
Make sure that your phone's drivers are installed in your computer. If you connect your phone to the computer (and it doesn't have drivers), your computer will find and install them for you. Happened to all Samsung Galaxy devices.
Turn on USB Debugging Mode in your phone by going to Settings > More > Developer options > and check USB debugging box, and if this selection is not shown go to About phone under the More tab still and go down to Build number and tap it 7 times and then it will say developers option is now available or something like that and then go back to Settings > More and you should then see the selection for Developer options.
Make sure that your battery is fully charged or at least 50% charged.

Flashing A ROM or .TAR file via ODIN

Launch ODIN on your computer. Just allow it if your computer asks for permission. Mine does every time.
Unzip the ROM you downloaded (usually a .rar file). It might contain 3 .md5 files, just 1 .md5 file and sometimes, an additional .pit file.
Golden rule: Don't mess with the presets ever. Example, if re-partition is unticked, DO NOT TICK IT. The only time it gets ticked is when you upload a .pit file on the PIT box. If it does, leave it that way. ODIN TICKED IT FOR A REASON. Let ODIN do its job.
See bottom of post for guide on where to place files on ODIN.
Connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable. The box on the upper left corner of ODIN should turn yellow (depending on what version of odin) and the message "Added!" should be on display.
Click "Start" and wait for the box on the upper left to turn green and say "PASS!"
Your phone should auto-reboot after that and presto, you now have a squeaky new ROM/Recovery to play with and you can then disconnect the usb cable now.

Where To Place Files On ODIN

pit file ---> PIT box
If there is just one .md5 file or .tar file, no matter the label place in ---> PDA box
If there are three .md5 files:
file containing "CODE" ---> PDA box
file containing "MODEM" ---> Phone box
file containing "CSC" ---> CSC box

Hope this helps you out.
The Following User Says Thank You to starmaster10 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thatgrass
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 540

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmaster10 View Post
Here is info on that i had saved for a while now, and this works the same way for flashing recoveries also.

Before Flashing A ROM via ODIN

First, download the latest version of ODIN you can find. i use odin 3.0.7 which works great
Install ODIN on your computer.
Make sure that your phone's drivers are installed in your computer. If you connect your phone to the computer (and it doesn't have drivers), your computer will find and install them for you. Happened to all Samsung Galaxy devices.
Turn on USB Debugging Mode in your phone by going to Settings > Applications > Development > check USB debugging.
Make sure that your battery is fully charged or at least 50% charged.

Flashing A ROM via ODIN

Launch ODIN on your computer. Just allow it if your computer asks for permission. Mine does every time.
Unzip the ROM you downloaded (usually a .rar file). It might contain 3 .md5 files, just 1 .md5 file and sometimes, an additional .pit file.
Golden rule: Don't mess with the presets ever. Example, if re-partition is unticked, DO NOT TICK IT. The only time it gets ticked is when you upload a .pit file on the PIT box. If it does, leave it that way. ODIN TICKED IT FOR A REASON. Let ODIN do its job.
See bottom of post for guide on where to place files on ODIN.
Connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable. The box on the upper left corner of ODIN should turn yellow (depending on what version of odin) and the message "Added!" should be on display.
Click "Start" and wait for the box on the upper left to turn green and say "PASS!"
Your phone should auto-reboot after that and presto, you now have a squeaky new ROM/Recovery to play with and you can then disconnect the usb cable now.

Where To Place Files On ODIN

pit file ---> PIT box
If there is just one .md5 file, no matter the label place in ---> PDA box
If there are three .md5 files:
file containing "CODE" ---> PDA box
file containing "MODEM" ---> Phone box
file containing "CSC" ---> CSC box

Hope this helps you out.
Hi! Thanks a ton for this extensive post!! I still have one question, with my note n7000 I downloaded a stock rom from Sammobile and got a tar.md5 file. Do I get the same files from Sammobile for the I9205? If so, where do I place this file in odin? Also in PDA?

Devices
Sony Ericsson W250 > Samsung Galaxy Gio > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy Note > HTC One X Plus > Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 > HTC One M7
Acer Iconia W700

starmaster10
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrass View Post
Hi! Thanks a ton for this extensive post!! I still have one question, with my note n7000 I downloaded a stock rom from Sammobile and got a tar.md5 file. Do I get the same files from Sammobile for the I9205? If so, where do I place this file in odin? Also in PDA?

Yep you put the file in the PDA window also.
The Following User Says Thank You to starmaster10 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thatgrass
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 540

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmaster10 View Post
Yep you put the file in the PDA window also.
And flashing for (Silesh.Niar's TWRP with kitkat support) recoveries? Also in the PDA I guess?
Devices
Acer Iconia W700

starmaster10
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrass View Post
And flashing for (Silesh.Niar's TWRP with kitkat support) recoveries? Also in the PDA I guess?
Yes in PDA window also.