5,593,458 Members 37,268 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] WiFi issue.

Tip us?

Boraltis
Old
(Last edited by Boraltis; 13th December 2013 at 12:56 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Default [Q] WiFi issue.

Alright, here's the problem. I can connect to my WiFi at work. I get full bars. But it won't pull any data. Nothing loads in any app or browser. It's only here that it happens and I'm the only one with any problems. I've read everything I can find and tried many things (WiFi "fixer" apps (both root and non-root), switching IPs, forgetting the network and setting it up from scratch) to no avail. I've spoken with our network administrator to ask him if he'd blocked any IPs or anything and he assured me that he had not (he doesn't even have the administrative passwords and can't reset the router as it is stuck to the ceiling 50 feet in the air).

So wtf? Anybody have any suggestions outside of a factory reset? I'm all ears. Thanks in advance (I'll also spank your Thanks Button )

Edit: Also, I've been on this network for years. This happened out of nowhere last week and I'm getting frustrated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Paulita1
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boraltis View Post
Alright, here's the problem. I can connect to my WiFi at work. I get full bars. But it won't pull any data. Nothing loads in any app or browser. It's only here that it happens and I'm the only one with any problems. I've read everything I can find and tried many things (WiFi "fixer" apps (both root and non-root), switching IPs, forgetting the network and setting it up from scratch) to no avail. I've spoken with our network administrator to ask him if he'd blocked any IPs or anything and he assured me that he had not (he doesn't even have the administrative passwords and can't reset the router as it is stuck to the ceiling 50 feet in the air).

So wtf? Anybody have any suggestions outside of a factory reset? I'm all ears. Thanks in advance (I'll also spank your Thanks Button )

Edit: Also, I've been on this network for years. This happened out of nowhere last week and I'm getting frustrated.

AT&T Smart Wi-Fi connection manager is a free app that finds and auto-connects to available hotspots, maximizes battery life by only turning Wi-Fi on & off when needed, logs missed hotspot opportunities for your review and action for subsequent use, and displays your real-time cellular and Wi-Fi data usage.

Boraltis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulita1 View Post
AT&T Smart Wi-Fi connection manager is a free app that finds and auto-connects to available hotspots, maximizes battery life by only turning Wi-Fi on & off when needed, logs missed hotspot opportunities for your review and action for subsequent use, and displays your real-time cellular and Wi-Fi data usage.
...You work for AT&T Mobility??? That isn't helpful at all.

wish777
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1086

DONATE TO ME
Lmao

dtien
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boraltis View Post

I can't find the thread where this tip came from at the moment but this is what I remembered. It shouldn't be hard to search thru the forums. It may or may not fix your issue but give it a try anymore. It won't break anything. GL

1. at your dial pad enter *#0011#, this will take you to the SERVICE MODE
2. press the "menu" - the soft key on the left side of home button
3. select "WiFi"
3. toggle the ON/OFF switch to turn off the wifi power save mode.
4. press home button to exit
The Following User Says Thank You to dtien For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DrAzzy
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I've seen android devices fail to resolve domain names on corporate networks. Check if you can ping outside IP addresses and such - if so, there's probably a way to force it to use google public DNS, though of course this won't resolve intranet names...

(Also, before you exert too much effort on this, make sure your corporate wifi is worth connecting to. Some wifi networks in offices are crap...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulita1 View Post
Maybe I'm just spoiled by living in a place with excellent 4G LTE coverage, but I don't see any appeal in connecting to random hotspots - I've never connected to a hotspot that performed better than the 4G, and I don't come close to the data limits of my plan (This month I'll hit 1GB for the first time, I think, because our connection at home was out yesterday, and I had to tether for me and roommate who work from home). Plus good deal of the hotspots I tried (before I realized this was silly) didn't even have internet behind them. The majority of the attwifi ones around here (in red cambridge, ma) don't work - on default settings, I'd just be walking along, and bam - no connectivity, what happened? Oh, it autoconnected to an attwifi hotspot that didn't have any internet connectivity.

Boraltis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
I turned the WiFi power saving mode off. I'll report back once I get back to work and check the results.

Boraltis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
No go. Still no data.

CharliexCharger
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Try to manually configure it by using 4636v2. Download from the play store.

Sent from my phone yo!