Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 46,446 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Fake HTC One?

Tip us?

marksiv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Fake HTC One?

Hello, a friend of mine has bought me an apparently real HTC One from russia. As he said, it was about 100 cheaper because of taxes and stuff like that.

When I got that device, it was all okay. It looked very legit, until I have played some games without and tried out some benchmarks.
The phone I had before was HTC One S, which seemed much faster to me. I have ran some benchmarks and noticed it is getting much less scores than a HTC One is supposed to be.

Here you can see the result of Antutu Benchmark on the device:
Click image for larger version

Name:	antutu score.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	2454620

Also, take a look at this weird "Brand: htc_hk_asia". It doesn't look very legit:

Name:	antutu sys info.png
Views:	531
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2454621

Here is a screenshot of CPU-Z System Info, which finally showed me that something is not right... :/

Name:	cpu-z.png
Views:	569
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2454622

When I asked my friend, he told me that it's just a software problem... which I can not believe.

I was already convinced that it is a fake, but I wanted to make sure.. is it one? What can I do?

I appreciate any help, thank you in advance.

JasSingh93
Old
(Last edited by JasSingh93; 14th December 2013 at 06:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 23
It does look very strange. Here is a screenshot of mine. You don't seem to have much internal storage!

If you phone was new and stock you should not have root access (I rooted mine on day 1 ). Also I'm pretty sure "alps" did not build the official HTC One. Then the board, hardware and display models aren't even similar.

I would definitely call this a fake, even the status bar at the top looks different. Do you know what ROM this phone is using? This might be stated in Settings>About>Software information.

According to the AnTuTu Device Info, the rear camera is 13MP. The real phone has a 4 Ultrapixel camera. I'm pretty sure that isn't a software problem!

I'm not sure what you could do, apart from take it back to your friend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-14-18-31-20.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	2454637  

marksiv
Old
(Last edited by marksiv; 14th December 2013 at 06:52 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasSingh93 View Post
It does look very strange. Here is a screenshot of mine. You don't seem to have much internal storage!

If you phone was new and stock you should not have root access (I rooted mine on day 1 ). Also I'm pretty sure "alps" did not build the official HTC One. Then the board, hardware and display models aren't even similar.

I would definitely call this a fake, even the status bar at the top looks different. Do you know what ROM this phone is using? This might be stated in Settings>About>Software information.

I'm not sure what you could do, apart from take it back to your friend.
Thanks for the answer!

It was new and completely unopened... well, at least it looked like that. The first weird thing I noticed, was that the battery was charged to something like 57%. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

Here is a screenshot of my "About" menu. Sorry for the text being in german, I hope it is still recognizable.

Name:	a531e5f8ac.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2454648

Also, I have compared my phone with pictures of a real HTC One - it seems very legit... is it possible that someone just exchanged parts of the hardware?

crixley
Old
Thanks Meter 1,042
Here is what you have

http://m.androidauthority.com/htc-on...erfect-244318/
Current Devices: Xperia Z1
Past Devices: Too many to list, I change them like I change my underwear
The Following User Says Thank You to crixley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JasSingh93
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksiv View Post
Thanks for the answer!

It was new and completely unopened... well, at least it looked like that. The first weird thing I noticed, was that the battery was charged to something like 57%. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

Here is a screenshot of my "About" menu. Sorry for the text being in german, I hope it is still recognizable.
Attachment 2454648
Difficult to tell from that screenshot, but the battery when new is normal. Mine was charged at about 45% when new. Does the phone feel of high quality? It should be nicely built with an aluminium body, with the 2 front boom sound speakers sounding nice and clear.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by crixley View Post
That is a worrying good copy! It says the fake has a 720p screen but the screenshots show 1080p. Still, that seems to be the only similarity to the real HTC

crixley
Old
(Last edited by crixley; 14th December 2013 at 06:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasSingh93 View Post
Difficult to tell from that screenshot, but the battery when new is normal. Mine was charged at about 45% when new. Does the phone feel of high quality? It should be nicely built with an aluminium body, with the 2 front boom sound speakers sounding nice and clear.
Lol at his picture....

He has 1gb internal storage.

It is a fake for sure. Plus hardware is the same as the link I posted, ir isn't using a Qualcomm chip

The screenshot thing could be wrong, it doesn't test the screen res but looks at the hardware info which would be easily to fake
Current Devices: Xperia Z1
Past Devices: Too many to list, I change them like I change my underwear

marksiv
Old
(Last edited by marksiv; 14th December 2013 at 07:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hmm, okay. Seems like it really is a fake, unfortunately.

I can't really tell if it feels high quality, it is not really heavy and not too light..

Thank you everyone for your help!

JasSingh93
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksiv View Post
Hmm, okay. Seems like it really is a fake, unfortunately.

I can't really tell if it feels high quality, it is not really heavy and not too light..

Thank you everyone for your help!
Hopefully you can get the phone sent back. It's a shame to see such a beautiful phone copied from a cheaper supplier.