XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Defitions and Terms

Tip us?

murky024
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default HTC Defitions and Terms

So I am new to HTC but not new to Android or rooting but there are some acronyms and terms being used here that I don't know. So I figured I would create a thread for the HTC one key terms for newbies like me:

GPE/GE - Google Play Edition or Google Edition:
HTC is one of few phones to release an unaltered version of Android for-sale on Google Play Store.

S-Off (No idea what this means yet but seems to relate to unlocking bootloader, please help me with this)

CID - (No idea again)

MID - (No idea)

Please add any other key terms that are used in the HTC/ HTC One world that would help and I will update this post. If there is another post like it, please point me in that direction.

jacobspecht
Old
(Last edited by jacobspecht; 14th December 2013 at 10:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
S-Off turns off the security flag of the boot loader. Allows you to flash more than what you can with S-On.

CID- carrier identification. For example, if you install a Google edition ruu, you would change the CID to receive OTA's

MID- model identification, not completely sure but I know certain files check this before installing, may need to change depending on what you want to install.

Edit: Also...

RUU: ROM update utility,either a .exe or .zip that reinstalls everything, if you have s-on, you can only install the same or newer version.

FUU- firmware update utility, basically the same as RUU

HBOOT- boot loader, or different version boot loader. Not 100% sure if you need to be S-Off

I'm not an expert, just know these simple things

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Tags
acronyms, faq, key terms