5,599,190 Members 35,411 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kernel is Consuming 80% of the Battery

Tip us?

yonba
Old
(Last edited by yonba; 11th December 2013 at 01:47 PM.) Reason: too large image. linking the smaller one.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Kernel is Consuming 80% of the Battery

Hi there. Could anyone check what is wrong with my phone please? I had it at 100% at around 1pm today. Been using WIFI at the office(no data btw), internet browsing for about 5 minutes every hour, screen brightness always at 20%. Good phone radio signal. However, I noticed something is wrong. I a bit surprised it already consumed 30% of power in a matter of 2 hours. It usually consumes 20% battery every 5 hours, and that includes 5 minutes of Clash of Clans, 10 minutes of net browsing and FB in an hour. But today I just let it sit on the table and check the drain. It's like losing 1% every 5 to 10 minutes:

My charging habit though, I let it go down between 10% to 20% before I charge, sometimes I forget to pull it from the socket for 30 minutes (do all modern gadgets have safety off feature?), and sometimes I charge it to full even if it has still 60% remaining. I got the phone last November 8. It shouldn't be discharging this fast, right?

Kalaidos
Old
Thanks Meter 3
To the charging part: you can charge your phone whenever you want! the only thing that these batteries dont like is getting it under 15% and letting it charging after it reached 100% for too long but no matter if you have 60% or 20% you can charge it

Lithium batteries info

yonba
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaidos View Post
To the charging part: you can charge your phone whenever you want! the only thing that these batteries dont like is getting it under 15% and letting it charging after it reached 100% for too long but no matter if you have 60% or 20% you can charge it

Lithium batteries info
But why is it draining too fast while on wifi only?

yonba
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone? Been searching the net but couldn't find any answers.

robogo1982
Old
Thanks Meter 370
If nothing helps, try performing a factory reset.
| LG G2 | D802 | stock | 72 hrs on a single charge
| Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 | custom ROM | [sold]
| Sony Xperia Z | stock | [sold]
| Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 | custom ROM | [sold]
| Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 | stock | [sold]
| Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 | custom ROM | [sold]
| HTC Desire | stock | [sold]
| HTC Hero | stock | [sold]
:: i'm a lazy mug who doesn't update his signature that often ::

yonba
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The weird thing is, this happens only when i am using the office wifi. At home, i get only 3% drain overnight.

Atze001
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Look at "Held Awake". Use BetterBatteryStats to find out which app doesnt allow your phone to sleep.

keeepinitgansta
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonba View Post
The weird thing is, this happens only when i am using the office wifi. At home, i get only 3% drain overnight.
I had the same problem on my work wifi and it was because of the way the wireless access point is set up. The router sends broadcast msgs to all the clients, sort of a keep-alive ping, therefore draining your battery, since the phone responds to those broadcast msgs and it never allows the wifi to enter power save mode or sleep.