Just recently got my RT [Impressions]

Tip us?

HaiKaiDo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 440

DONATE TO ME
Default Just recently got my RT [Impressions]

So I picked up a Microsoft Certified Refurb Surface RT 32Gb for 279 over black friday and I have to say that I am absolutely in love with this device. Im a college student and this tablet fits my needs absolutely perfect. even decided to completely skip the jailbreaking and upgrade to windows 8.1 and I must say WHAT an improvement!!!! I thought the 8.1 upgrade on my desktop was stupid and pointless...but for this device it makes it into a beast.

There are a few problems here and there with apps crashing and the lack of more choices for apps is a little disheartening BUT I will say that theres nothing that Ive wanted to do so far that I couldnt do.

The defualt movie play plays my .r2ts bluray rips...flawless
Gomp is a google music app that gives you full range access to your google play music library (and has a very pretty interface )
UC Browser is pretty much IE with a bookmark dialer homepage and I love it
Netflix is freaking perfect
IM+ and Skype,Facebook and MetroTwit for all my chatting/social needs
Emulators for GBA GBC and SNES work perfectly and out of the box with a 360 controller
FULL OFFICE SUITE!!!!
IRC Explorer for all your IRC needs

Hands down i freakin love this device. Everyone constantly asks me "OH WOW WHAT IS THAT!?" because these things are like unicorns. No one out there has seen these things in real life. Even my foaming at the mouth hardcore apple/ipad friends were giving it the oooo's and aahhh's

Bottom line here is if you can pick one up for a reasonable price...DO IT! you wont be disapointed ^_^

Now once that 8.1 JB comes out Ill be set for life lol

-----> Check Out My Custom Made USB Jig! <-----
If youre a Developer here on XDA and youd like an IRC Channel for your users or a private IRC channel for development just shoot me a pm!

midoriconcept
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I agree. I picked a 64 G RT and I kind of knew what to expect. But I am surprised how good this machine is..
To be honest it may be useful to have more apps, and the touch cover is not particularly good but I am super happy about it. Thanks for the apps reccomendations. I can advise to get "Code Writer" even if you are not a programmer. It is a fantastic full screen editor (Free)

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 1987
The Surface RTs are nice, but they are severely hampered by microsoft's laughable app store. I don't think RT is going to be around for much longer, especially because you can now get a full x86 Win8 tablet for the same price. I have a Surface Pro and love it, but I just got the Dell Venue 8 Pro and it is pretty friggin' awesome.
\m/(-_-)\m/

wnandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiKaiDo View Post
So I picked up a Microsoft Certified Refurb Surface RT 32Gb for 279 over black friday and I have to say that I am absolutely in love with this device. Im a college student and this tablet fits my needs absolutely perfect. even decided to completely skip the jailbreaking and upgrade to windows 8.1 and I must say WHAT an improvement!!!! I thought the 8.1 upgrade on my desktop was stupid and pointless...but for this device it makes it into a beast.

There are a few problems here and there with apps crashing and the lack of more choices for apps is a little disheartening BUT I will say that theres nothing that Ive wanted to do so far that I couldnt do.

The defualt movie play plays my .r2ts bluray rips...flawless
Gomp is a google music app that gives you full range access to your google play music library (and has a very pretty interface )
UC Browser is pretty much IE with a bookmark dialer homepage and I love it
Netflix is freaking perfect
IM+ and Skype,Facebook and MetroTwit for all my chatting/social needs
Emulators for GBA GBC and SNES work perfectly and out of the box with a 360 controller
FULL OFFICE SUITE!!!!
IRC Explorer for all your IRC needs

Hands down i freakin love this device. Everyone constantly asks me "OH WOW WHAT IS THAT!?" because these things are like unicorns. No one out there has seen these things in real life. Even my foaming at the mouth hardcore apple/ipad friends were giving it the oooo's and aahhh's

Bottom line here is if you can pick one up for a reasonable price...DO IT! you wont be disapointed ^_^

Now once that 8.1 JB comes out Ill be set for life lol
I have three RT's. One is for myself. My two daughters use them happily at colleges. They are in graduate schools. After updating to 8.1 RT, we do not have any problem. We do not use a lot of apps nor games. I hope that the Microsoft would not give up ARM devices which have great potential to more people who consider finance being the main reason to get tablets of 10.1 to 11.6 inches with some applications (such as Office, social network, and browsing).

Ace42
Old
Thanks Meter 1070
I only paid 169 for the 32gb and then $40 for a new touch cover on black Friday. I think this is a great value for me.

The touch cover will take time to adjust to, I'm improving, but not as quick as a mechanical board.

Sent with Virtue
Main: LG Optimus G (E970) : Hybrid radios for E970
Surface RT 32GB
LG Nexus 4_Gnome 4.4(cracked)
Kindle Fire 1G_CM11
SGS Vibrant_CM11

Owned: G1(Backup)-> Mytouch3GS(Sold) -> SideKick4G(Traded) -> MyTouch4G(Sold) -> Sensation 4G(Sold) -> Galaxy Player 5"(Sold) ->Nexus 4(broken)

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
Just a reminder folks: There are forums for RT, and forums for Surface devices. This is neither; it's primarily about x86/x64 Windows 8.x, not Windows RT or any particular device running it.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.