5,600,182 Members 40,262 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Some questions regarding performance.

Tip us?

Sista Bossen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default I just posted this comment on Android Central (qouted)

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I think a lot of people appreciate that you took time to check this up and review it.

Yesterday I got my hands on this baby. Borrowed a white one from a friend. It's a "Not for sale" device because he works in retail. Of course, the first thing I tried - after about a hundred other first things like signing up accounts and updating apps and fiddling with themes - I tried streaming Netflix.

I played different content and got different results. Jericho had significant lipsync issues, Modern Family had a notable delay in audio, while House of Cards and Breaking Bad had no or next to no delay at all.

So, yeah, the delay is present depending on the content. However, when connecting to a bluetooth speaker and playing Netflix the delay was at least a half a second, which renders the whole thing unwatchable. I only tried House of cards, but it was enough proof. Bluetooth devices often have a delay, but this was significant.

So now the main question is whether this is hardware or software related?
I didn't really pay attention to the screen, but it doesn't matter. I wont be paying money for the Gpad, it's just to much of an entry level device for me. As a long-time Android user, and a no-time iphone user, it hurts to say that I may need to get an ipad to fill all my needs.

pyrovulpes
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Wifi Issue with custom ROMs.

Hello All,

I would like to add that I have had trouble connecting to wifi with custom ROMs installed. The signal either drops at the point of connection, killing the attempt, or has really slow internet access speeds.

I raised this issue with the developer of the CMB ROM and s/he was really helpful, but ultimately the only thing that worked in terms of the wifi connection was reinstalling the stock ROM.

I seem to recall that one other person has had issues with the wifi connection, but can't find that thread anymore, so I don't know if that person was using a custom ROM at the time or not.

Long story short: No problems with wifi on stock ROM, buyer beware on custom ones.

ritchea
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sista Bossen View Post
I didn't really pay attention to the screen, but it doesn't matter. I wont be paying money for the Gpad, it's just to much of an entry level device for me. As a long-time Android user, and a no-time iphone user, it hurts to say that I may need to get an ipad to fill all my needs.
I waited for mini iPad 2 before trying the n7 FHD again. Although I'm all pc/android, hubby's mac/i-devices, and sons are mixed. Frankly, these devices are toys for me so the thought of being able to "play" with (jailbreak/customize) I-device appealed to me. In the little time I spent with mini 2, I was impressed. If it had been $50. less, I would have had a very tough decision. At $400., I wasn't going for it. If $$ is not a concern, get that pad. It's a real beauty!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

rkial
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sista Bossen View Post
I like how the specs of the HTC One, arguably the best smartphone in the market, are now considered "entry level".

And while I haven't used the G Pad, I wouldn't decide on anything after using a demo unit. Those are often pre-production units. The final product is polished.

Hope some other users who have G Pad can play those shows on Netflix and check if they work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkengarbagecan View Post
I was just accepting the dimmer, even at 100% brightness, screen until I watched the same movie, Oblivion, on the G Pad and my 2013 Nexus 7.

Honestly, the G Pad is HORRIBLE at times compared to the N7 screen. Even with the brightness at 100, details like the pattern on the shuttle seat or even facial features just look dark and kind of blobby with no definition. The N7 at even 35% brightness just blows away the 8.3 and you can see color and clarity, like the pattern of the seat. Not sure if I can post pics since newer acct but will try

I really want to love the G Pad and had every intention of selling my N7, no I am not too sure. Now it seems to me lately that the Gpad is just a little too big, a little too dim, and a little too short on battery life. My N7 just a little too small screenwise
I read something like that on the laptopmag review.. but nowhere else. Most reviewers say that the screen looks great and it's great for media consumption.
I also remember reading (can't remember where) that the G Pad had a very well calibrated screen.

Pics would be nice.

drunkengarbagecan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkial View Post
I like how the specs of the HTC One, arguably the best smartphone in the market, are now considered "entry level".

And while I haven't used the G Pad, I wouldn't decide on anything after using a demo unit. Those are often pre-production units. The final product is polished.

Hope some other users who have G Pad can play those shows on Netflix and check if they work fine.

I read something like that on the laptopmag review.. but nowhere else. Most reviewers say that the screen looks great and it's great for media consumption.
I also remember reading (can't remember where) that the G Pad had a very well calibrated screen.

Pics would be nice.
Hi,

Hopefully these pics will work. I had more doing side by side, but my camera made the LG look even darker than it was. In these two, you can look at things like skin tone and the outside to see the difference in details. These pics are fairly accurate of what I was seeing.

Both the N7 and G Pad had the brightness up to 100% and and full brightness on the video player (MX)

Brighter looking pic is the 2013 N7

djkinetic
Old
Thanks Meter 925

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkengarbagecan View Post
Hi,

Hopefully these pics will work. I had more doing side by side, but my camera made the LG look even darker than it was. In these two, you can look at things like skin tone and the outside to see the difference in details. These pics are fairly accurate of what I was seeing.

Both the N7 and G Pad had the brightness up to 100% and and full brightness on the video player (MX)

Brighter looking pic is the 2013 N7

The n7 screen is brighter due to the fact it outputs more NITs...the g pad is far from horrible though...I have both the n7 and g pad I find the g pad screen to look more natural.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4
Current Devices:

HTC One M8 32GB Gunmetal Grey
Samsung Galaxy S5 (G900T) Sim Unlocked For ATT
LGE Google Nexus 5 32 GB White/Black
LG G2 (D800) 32 GB Black
LG G-Pad 8.3 GPE
Google Nexus 7 16 GB (2013)

Google Chromecast
iPhone 5c 32 GB
iPad 2 Black 32 GB

Add me to your Google+ Circle: https://plus.google.com/106721746210047548500/posts

Sista Bossen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkial View Post
I like how the specs of the HTC One, arguably the best smartphone in the market, are now considered "entry level
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant the G Pad, not the HTC One. And you know, it's not the few high-end components that decide if it's an entry level, it's the overall build, the selection of all components and of course the software and functionality. But I still see your point, it's valid.

Nutsonfire
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Now that we are starting to get custom Roms I'm starting to like the device more. Just can't stand customized interface anymore. Performance is great, screen is dark though for movies and the speakers don't sound as good as those on the n7 2013 in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Nexus S
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus 5
Nexus 7
nexus 7 2013
Ifive X2
LG G Pad 8.3

Sista Bossen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So due to the fact that my wife refused to pay more for an iPad mini I got the G Pad anyways. I got the black one. Yesterday I watched Breaking Bad on Netflix. Lipsync wasn't completely tight, but it wasn't annoying. Best part is though, compared to the borrowed device, I have no backlight bleed on this one. Black parts are still super black, to the degree that details disappear. The examples above are a great example of that. Wish LG pushes out an OTA to fix this. Nevertheless, I regret nothing!

Also - this may be the wrong thread for this - but my box came sealed, where on the seal it said "Never accept a box that is unsealed". I live in Sweden and bought it from a store called Webhallen.

drunkengarbagecan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkinetic View Post
The n7 screen is brighter due to the fact it outputs more NITs...the g pad is far from horrible though...I have both the n7 and g pad I find the g pad screen to look more natural.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4
Given the choice based on clarity and not screen size, you would rather watch media on your gpad instead of n7, especially low light stuff?

Just asking, not debating. Maybe I got a bad screen on my gpad