5,594,077 Members 47,173 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Viiwok Deva HMD - Mobile Gaming

Tip us?

Attreyu
Old
(Last edited by kennyglass123; 26th December 2013 at 03:04 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Tablet Viiwok Deva HMD - Mobile Gaming

Hi,

My name is Dragos and I'm the founder and senior designer of Viiwok, a startup which builds VR adapters and controllers.

More specifically we're currently in the final testing rounds of the first mobile HMD in the world. It's basically a hybrid tablet adapter with integrated, discrete headtracking sensors (as in not using the tablet's gyro/accelerometer sensors).

What it does is letting you slide in any 7" tablet and wirelessly displaying stereographic 3D video feed from the computer. It's basically a mobile Oculus Rift and a future proof product as well, since we're not constrained of resolution and hardware issues - because you can always use the latest and most powerful tablet at your disposal. The headtracking has basically zero latency and the FOV is about 120 degrees, using specially designed aspheric lenses with a 2" diameter for each eye. Besides native 3D support in certain titles (Crytek titles made with Cryengine, DOOM 3 BFG, etc.), we can also use TriDef for realtime side-by-side 3D rendering of currently unsupported games.

While gaming is our main scope, the HMD could be also used for virtual tourism and landscaping, in medicine (disabled or severely handicapped persons) or CAD design. Our next project to be launched is an omnidirectional treadmill which detects your body movements in real time (walking, jumping, crouching), much like a Kinnect, but without the back-facing and latency constraints.

Right now we're using Gamepad THD and Kainy for the video feed, but also Limelight for native Shield streaming ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...505510&page=15 ) while also developing our own video streaming solution in house.

REMOVED

Here are a couple of pictures with the 3D printed prototype. Of course, the final design will be much more streamlined and ergonomic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Attreyu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

IAmReflex
Old
Thanks Meter 54
What sets this apart from the Oculus Rift? Why should I be interested in this project?

Its great more people are trying to push to VR.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to IAmReflex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Attreyu
Old
(Last edited by kennyglass123; 26th December 2013 at 03:05 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmReflex View Post
What sets this apart from the Oculus Rift? Why should I be interested in this project?

Its great more people are trying to push to VR.
1. It's completely mobile, no cables dangling around you.
2. It's future proof, whatever tablet you'll buy in the future it's going to be more powerful than the Oculus Rift. Powerful GPU, HD resolution, etc. You don't need to buy a special device in order to play, almost everyone has a tablet these days so you don't need to invest separately.
3. It's interchangeable with other tablets, so you can share it with your friends.
4. Price MOD EDIT: Discussion of pricing would be an advertisement which is not allowed on XDA
5. Because competition is healthy, especially in VR, and especially at this incipient stage. More indie producers, more views on the subject, more interest, more money pouring in. Oculus Rift was a simple ideea, like ours, at first, and look how far they reached.
6. Because you'll make us happy this Christmas