XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Minix Neo X7 root help

Tip us?

Goofy-Goober
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Minix Neo X7 root help

i'm searching a simple and secure method for rooting my new Neo X7...
if possibile i prefer not using custom firmware, because i only need to have Superuser permission for ONE application, that is Orbot. I need this because Orbot can force every app on the phone to connect via Tor network ONLY if it has Superuser permission (without it can only use some browser to connect via Tor network).

i saw that some rooting method stopped working after 007 upgrade...
i'm not an expert with android rooting and modding, but i have some back experience from the time when i had the Nexus One... Today i have a Note II and i've used Framaroot to gain Superuser.

Searching the web for the Neo X7 rooting method i've found someone that uses Kingo, but later i've found that is a malicious program...
Now i'm wondering if can i use Framaroot or simple program like UnlockRoot, or there are other simple way for rootin the Neo X7?

thanks in advance

Goofy-Goober
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy-Goober View Post
if possibile i prefer not using custom firmware, because i only need to have Superuser permission for ONE application, that is Orbot. I need this because Orbot can force every app on the phone to connect via Tor network ONLY if it has Superuser permission (without it can only use some browser to connect via Tor network).

i'm not an expert with android rooting and modding, but i have some back experience from the time when i had the Nexus One... Today i have a Note II and i've used Framaroot to gain Superuser.

Searching the web for the Neo X7 rooting method i've found someone that uses Kingo, but later i've found that is a malicious program...
Now i'm wondering if can i use Framaroot or simple program like UnlockRoot, or there are other simple way for rootin the Neo X7?

thanks in advance
any suggestion?

GeekEric
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
any suggestion?
blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2013/08/03/how-to-root-minix-neo-x7-quad-core-tv-box/

see this.

NixZero
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekEric View Post
blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2013/08/03/how-to-root-minix-neo-x7-quad-core-tv-box/

see this.
outdated, wont work anymore with rom 007+

Goofy-Goober
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NixZero View Post
outdated, wont work anymore with rom 007+
solved by installing latest Finless rom

Dobomi
Old
(Last edited by Dobomi; 17th January 2014 at 06:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
The malicious part of Kingo was that their app used to read the IMEI of your GSM. In the meantime it seems that they updated their soft and have given up to this IMEI reading permission. In addition, as far as I know a smart TV box like Neo X7 has no GSM. Personally I used Kingo and easily rooted my non-GSM tablet.

Now I want to give it a try and use Kingo to root my new Minix Neo X7 due to arrive tomorrow. I do not want to install a custom ROM, but to customize the stock ROM according to my preferences. I will let you know about the success of this procedure. Some guys who already did that said the rooting procedure did not work from the very first attempt: one should root, then unroot and then root again.

Dobomi
Old
(Last edited by Dobomi; 18th January 2014 at 08:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Thumbs up Minix Neo X7 rooted with Kingo

Rooting Minix Neo X7 (firmware version 008) with Kingo was successfull: SuperSu is there and I also made a backup with Titanium Backup and it worked.

I'm not an expert at all but a few hints for rooting at your own risk: download and install Kingo on your PC and launch it; connect X7 to your TV (HDMI) and your PC (micro USB to USB cable) and power it; go to Minix Settings yellow app and in Device folder check USB connection as mass storage and in System folder check connected to PC and wait until Windows install Minix drivers. Then Kingo should recognize your device (if not verify once again in Settings if connected to PC is checked). Once recognized you press the Root button and the whole procedure it will take a few minutes. At the end your device will reboot and then will ask for Superuser permission. If you fail to grant permission reconnect your device to your PC while Kingo still open and you will be asked again for SuperSU permission.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dobomi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rdnckreaper
Old
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

thanks in advance
Was this the neo x7 or neo x7mini or is there any difference between the firmwares just the size of the device and the antenna?

AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II - IOKP 2.0 - 64GB Expansion SD
AT&T Samsung GS3 - Carbon Nightly 4.3.1 - 32GB Expansion SD
AT&T Samsung GS2 Skyrocket - Carbon Nightly 4.3.1- 32GB Expansion SD
AT&T Samsung Captivate- SlimRom 4.3 - 64gb Expansion SD
Verizon Motorola Xoom 4G (MZ600) - Baked Blackbean 8 - 32GB Expansion SD
Lenovo X61 Tablet - 80GB HD - Android-86x 4.2 Dev Version

Hidden-Hunter
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Thanks for this thread to solve my problem

Goofy-Goober
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnckreaper View Post
Was this the neo x7 or neo x7mini or is there any difference between the firmwares just the size of the device and the antenna?
mine is the "big" neo x7 with the antenna.
i don't know if there are firmware differences between the two models

btw this device is a big delusion... it can't handle 1080p movies with soft subs.
i've tried to watch some eps of various anime on this device, but with 10bit, 1080p and softsubs there isn't a way to play them smoothly.

My Galaxy Note II can play same movies without any problems

The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy-Goober For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]