[Q] [MTP ERROR] Phone won't connect to PC

Tip us?

gacsibeni
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] [MTP ERROR] Phone won't connect to PC

Hey guys!
I picked my G2 up 5 days ago, everything was working fine on day one, however now my phone won't connect to the PC either in MTP or in PTP mode. I looked up all kinds of drivers for this device, installed everything, and it's still not working. When I connect my phone, Windows start to search drivers but does not find any. I have Windows 7 64 bit. Now I can't transfer files to the device, and also, when I try to charge via USB 2.0 or 3.0, it says the voltage level is low, so it charges only on low profile.
Appreciating any help.

Vepaot
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Have you tried a different USB cable? That would be the first thing to do. If you're not using the OEM cable (the one that came with it), try that post haste.

If you've already done that, have you tried charging it from the wall with the OEM cable and wall socket box? Does it charge? Is it charging at normal speeds?

And finally, is your phone rooted? Does it have a custom recovery? Is it the stock operating system?

Sent from CAMACHO, my Verizon G2 (VS980) running PAC ROM.

The Aphotic Chaotic
LG G2 VS980 (Verizon) [JB 4.3] PAC-man ROM
Nexus 7 [JB 4.2.2] XenonHD

gacsibeni
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the fast answer.
Yes, I do use the OEM cable, the one that was in the box. I am using stock ROM, no tweaks at all. The travel charger is working perfectly, it is charging at normal speed. The intresting thing is that it was working for a few days...

Vepaot
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I would recommend using Wi-Fi Transfer, or whatever it's called... The built in system in your Qslide Apps, and backing up everything you can to your computer that way, or backup app info (such as SwiftKey) to its respective cloud system if it supports it, then doing a factory reset.

If it doesn't work after that, try to get it replaced, it should still be within your grace period.

The Aphotic Chaotic

gacsibeni
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I forgot to test it with another cable. Now I did it with a Samsung Galaxy W U2 cable, and it is working, Windows did automatically install the driver and the MTP is working... Interesting... The stock cable has been working for days, and it still does work with the wall charger perfectly, but not the computer.

Vepaot
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Do you prop your phone on your chest when you lay in bed? I used to do that while charging my tablet, which also had the USB port on the bottom. It slowly bent the cable connector from the pressure of the tablet being set on it.

Perhaps you accidentally did something similar? And if so, I recommend getting a custom launcher or something that will give you full orientation control of your phone, then turning it upside down so the charger cable is on the top when plugged in.

Also, I'd take the cord to your carrier store and tell them what's going on. See if you can't get it replaced right away.

The Aphotic Chaotic
The Following User Says Thank You to Vepaot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gacsibeni
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
No, I haven't charged the phone in bed like that, but if the cable was damaged, shouldn't it have the issue with the wall charger too? Because it works just fine with the wall charger.

Vepaot
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Not necessarily. I'm no expert on that, but I imagine there are different wires in the cord for data and electricity. If the data one is busted, that would explain why your computer doesn't recognize it, but it still charges on the wall.

The low voltage error could be a play into that as well if there's some kind of handshake that happens between phone and computer that is not happening because of the damaged data line. My PS3 controller is like that, it will only charge on specific wall chargers because of this handshake feature.

That's just my opinion anyway. Not that it matters at this point, because we have established the cable itself is faulty. Which is good because that's way easier to replace than a whole phone.

The Aphotic Chaotic

gacsibeni
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your help.