XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Hi guys - Stock recovery

Tip us?

andyistic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question [Q] Hi guys - Stock recovery

How does one backup the existing stock recovery, before installing Clockwork or whatever other custom recovery you have?
I'm assuming you can't use Download mode, because that's just one direction, from computer to cell.

Could you maybe use a program like Root Explorer to copy the stock files to the SD card?
If this is possible, how would you package it into a tar suitable for Odin later on?

Thanks guys!

SwellVermin
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyistic View Post
How does one backup the existing stock recovery, before installing Clockwork or whatever other custom recovery you have?
I'm assuming you can't use Download mode, because that's just one direction, from computer to cell.

Could you maybe use a program like Root Explorer to copy the stock files to the SD card?
If this is possible, how would you package it into a tar suitable for Odin later on?

Thanks guys!
CF Auto Root gives you root and stock recovery. Not sure if thats what youre looking to do?

andyistic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwellVermin View Post
CF Auto Root gives you root and stock recovery. Not sure if thats what youre looking to do?
I thought that was only for rooting your cell, not making a backup of the current recovery code.

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11052

DONATE TO ME
You don't need to, you can find a stock recovery flashable here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2151476
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

andyistic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post
You don't need to, you can find a stock recovery flashable here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2151476
I'm on Android 4.3, so I would like the 4.3 version of stock recovery available before I replace it with Clockwork or Twerp.

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11052

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyistic View Post
I'm on Android 4.3, so I would like the 4.3 version of stock recovery available before I replace it with Clockwork or Twerp.
It really doesn't matter what version of stock recovery you have, they're all the same.
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following User Says Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andyistic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post
It really doesn't matter what version of stock recovery you have, they're all the same.
So if I extract recovery.img from Samsung's tar.md5 package, can I just use Odin to load the .img into the cell, or do I need to add a script to it?