5,595,645 Members 45,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flash is ruining my photographs at night!!

Tip us?

wezzel98765
Old
(Last edited by wezzel98765; 15th December 2013 at 09:39 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default Flash is ruining my photographs at night!!

Have tried the stock camera app and VSCOCAM as well - but still the flash is ruining my photographs. Haven't got a case on the phone when taking these images and to be honest... it's annoying as hell! Tried it with my girlfriends black Z1 as mine is white - and hers does the same...!

So, I assume that the flash is interfering with what the sensor is picking up, in which case... the phone isn't fit for purpose..?

Examples are being uploaded

Without flash

2013-12-15 04.54.11 1 by wezzel98765, on Flickr

With Flash

2013-12-15 04.53.54 1 by wezzel98765, on Flickr

B1nny
Old
Thanks Meter 537

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzel98765 View Post
Have tried the stock camera app and VSCOCAM as well - but still the flash is ruining my photographs. Haven't got a case on the phone when taking these images and to be honest... it's annoying as hell! Tried it with my girlfriends black Z1 as mine is white - and hers does the same...!

So, I assume that the flash is interfering with what the sensor is picking up, in which case... the phone isn't fit for purpose..?
Well, turn it off then..?

"However, if you put any trust in Benchmark Scores you could use them
to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance" - Chainfire

wezzel98765
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1nny View Post
Well, turn it off then..?
Bit of a smart ass response

Yes it's okay to turn it off, but what if the lighting is bad and I want to take a photo?

B1nny
Old
Thanks Meter 537

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Bit of a smart ass response

Yes it's okay to turn it off, but what if the lighting is bad and I want to take a photo?
Well it's fairly simple, flash pretty much always ruins a photo. Only use it if you really have to. Other than that, superior auto does a fairly decent job and if that doesn't quite cut it for you, you can try manual mode.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot more that we can do. Remember it's still a phone and not a DSLR. Low-light photography relies mostly on the lens that's fitted on the camera as far as I know. (correct me if I'm wrong) Due to the amount of light a real lens can capture and a smartphone lens simply can't.

Also the photo's you've taken maybe aren't that good of an example, the image without flash looks fine to me. I don't know what you're expecting to capture there, but if you want to show off the back of your car, it's perfectly fine.

PS. if that's your car, you may want to blur out the numberplate.

"However, if you put any trust in Benchmark Scores you could use them
to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance" - Chainfire

nikola1970
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I had exactly the same problem with my Z, and i as well heard some people with Z1 had this problem too.

What u should do is to clean your lens and flash well and try it again to make some pictures.

Try it and respond here with what happend.

wezzel98765
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Thanks for the advice etc

Just wanted to test camera during darkness because I am going on holiday soon and want to know whether to buy a camera or if my phone will cut it enough for what I need it to do

It's one of many of my dad's imprezas... it's got pics of it many places on the web so it doesn't matter

The car was lit from behind me by an outdoor flood light so that's why I could capture it. I was just shocked that the ghosting on the right side of the image happened. Surely this means that the flash is completely unusable as it interferes with half of the image?

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 477
Quote:
I was just shocked that the ghosting on the right side of the image happened. Surely this means that the flash is completely unusable as it interferes with half of the image?
Yes, is unusable but if you switch the flash to torch when you make a picture you will see some improvement, same here, and you want to know why? They put the flash to close to the lens.

nikola1970
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Just clean your lens and flash area well and it will help... That's how i fixed that problem.

wezzel98765
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
Yes, is unusable but if you switch the flash to torch when you make a picture you will see some improvement, same here, and you want to know why? They put the flash to close to the lens.
Yes I thought as much... in which case... this means the device is faulty... as it's not useable in combination with flash at night?

an unrectifiable device design

eclyptos
Old
(Last edited by eclyptos; 16th December 2013 at 12:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 477
Quote:
. in which case... this means the device is faulty... as it's not useable in combination with flash at night?

an unrectifiable device design
The reasons can be many but for sure if they will made the phone with a flash more distanced from the lens we will not have this issue and in this case is like you said, an unrectifiable device design but is not faulty. You can get improvements by settings the flash sincronizations because I do not understand yet, why if I switch the torch on when I do the pictures at night they come out a little better than a picture with automatic flash. So here between this settings is something not right and that why you. like me too and others, do have this problem making pictures with flash. I will test again few things to be sure and I will post my opinion but now I am 100% sure if the flash will not be so close to the lens we will have less of this brightness in the pictures.