5,598,463 Members 46,282 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Using bad ESN HTC ONE on AT&T

Tip us?
 
O-rangePeels
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 33
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: oakland, california
Default Using bad ESN HTC ONE on AT&T

So recently I came found pretty beaten up HTC ONE that is Verizon branded. I called and they said its a bad ESN that the previous owner didn't finish the payment. So I was wondering, (yes I looked through various threads and could not get to a final answer) if I use this phone with an AT&T sim, it will work right? Verizon HTC ONES are required to be GSM unlocked and ESN only matters to CDMA carriers and not GSM carriers. Thanks.
 
Murrda
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 76
Posts: 141
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Are you asking the XDA community or are you telling us? I'm confused as to what you are getting across here. If you have an AT&T sim or know someone who does then pop the sim in and find out if it works... Did you call Verizon or AT&T and ask if they will activate it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-rangePeels View Post
So recently I came found pretty beaten up HTC ONE that is Verizon branded. I called and they said its a bad ESN that the previous owner didn't finish the payment. So I was wondering, (yes I looked through various threads and could not get to a final answer) if I use this phone with an AT&T sim, it will work right? Verizon HTC ONES are required to be GSM unlocked and ESN only matters to CDMA carriers and not GSM carriers. Thanks.
 
josh995
Old
(Last edited by josh995; 16th December 2013 at 02:28 AM.)
#3  
josh995's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 927
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stafford, VA
It is unlocked, so as long as it has the proper bands in it, it should work on AT&T. I'm not sure if it'll work with LTE or just 3G. No idea as I've never tried. I've also read that you have to update APN settings. AT&T may not "officially" let you use, like register it to your account because it wasn't an AT&T phone but if you can pop a SIM card in it you should be able to use it, as long as it works.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Have had way too many phones to list. Currently HTC One on Verizon Wireless.
I like Apple & Android equally. Shocker, I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to josh995 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
O-rangePeels
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 33
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: oakland, california
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh995 View Post
It is unlocked, so as long as it has the proper bands in it, it should work on AT&T. I'm not sure if it'll work with LTE or just 3G. No idea as I've never tried. I've also read that you have to update APN settings. AT&T may not "officially" let you use, like register it to your account because it wasn't an AT&T phone but if you can pop a SIM card in it you should be able to use it, as long as it works.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Thanks!
 
jlczl
Old
#5  
jlczl's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 175
Posts: 859
Join Date: Oct 2005
It'll be on 2G which will be fine for voice but you'll be stuck on slow data.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Verizon HTC One "BB Blue"
Sony Xperia Z
Galaxy Note 2 running Jedi ROM
iPad Mini with Retina Display
Galaxy Note 10.1
Asus Nexus 7
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Nokia 520
HTC Flyer
iPad 2 16gb WiFi version

Verizon, AirVoice Wireless and T-Mobile Value
 
projektorboy
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 88
Posts: 404
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
It'll be on 2G which will be fine for voice but you'll be stuck on slow data.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Wrong. You're thinking of T-Mobile

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one/#specs

The VZW variant HTC One includes the following GSM bands: UMTS/HSPA 1900/2100MHz and GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz. These frequencies align with AT&T's services. T-Mobile uses AWS bands (which include 1700mhz) for their HSPA.
 
jvasquezhhi
Old
#7  
jvasquezhhi's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 28
Join Date: Dec 2011
I might be wrong.. but all Verizon Phones are Sim-Locked for any USA carrier, you could however use the phone just fine in any out of the country carriers. but like i said i might be wrong which i often am
 
karn101
Old
#8  
karn101's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 71
Posts: 330
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvasquezhhi View Post
I might be wrong.. but all Verizon Phones are Sim-Locked for any USA carrier, you could however use the phone just fine in any out of the country carriers. but like i said i might be wrong which i often am
It's actually the opposite. Verizon 4G phones are SIM unlocked.
 
jvasquezhhi
Old
#9  
jvasquezhhi's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 28
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by karn101 View Post
It's actually the opposite. Verizon 4G phones are SIM unlocked.
See i ask because my wife also like to have an HTC ONE and i wont let her have mine but she like to be with cricket for some unknown reason, so i was looking online and best deal i saw a HTC ONE but verizon branded, so was thinking to get her a HTC ONE from sprint or tmobile and convert it to cricket but my concept seem to far fetched i think...
 
jlczl
Old
#10  
jlczl's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 175
Posts: 859
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by projektorboy View Post
Wrong. You're thinking of T-Mobile

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one/#specs

The VZW variant HTC One includes the following GSM bands: UMTS/HSPA 1900/2100MHz and GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz. These frequencies align with AT&T's services. T-Mobile uses AWS bands (which include 1700mhz) for their HSPA.
Sorry but regardless what those specs state you are wrong. I have a Verizon HTC One in hand as well as at&t and T-Mobile sim cards and my statement is from ACTUAL hands on experience. You will only get 2G.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvasquezhhi View Post
See i ask because my wife also like to have an HTC ONE and i wont let her have mine but she like to be with cricket for some unknown reason, so i was looking online and best deal i saw a HTC ONE but verizon branded, so was thinking to get her a HTC ONE from sprint or tmobile and convert it to cricket but my concept seem to far fetched i think...
Don't waste your time. My thoughts were the same when I bought my Verizon One. I planned on using it with a GSM carrier. I had read that its hardware had the necessary bands and they probably are there but I can guarantee that they are at least being blocked somehow by Verizon (data-wise) . I only got 2G and this is from actual hands-on experience with SIM cards from both at&t and T-Mobile. Voice worked great but data was horrible.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by karn101 View Post
It's actually the opposite. Verizon 4G phones are SIM unlocked.
They ARE sim unlocked but crafty Verizon somehow managed to block high speed data even though they are SIM unlocked. I'm sure this can be fixed somehow but nobody seems to be that interested in getting this taken care of. Fortunately for me I was able to get a very good deal on my Verizon plan so I kept it for myself and my family is still on my original T Mobile plan.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Verizon HTC One "BB Blue"
Sony Xperia Z
Galaxy Note 2 running Jedi ROM
iPad Mini with Retina Display
Galaxy Note 10.1
Asus Nexus 7
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Nokia 520
HTC Flyer
iPad 2 16gb WiFi version

Verizon, AirVoice Wireless and T-Mobile Value

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...