5,597,138 Members 43,505 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooted SGS4 - Play Store does not connect (either Server Error or No Connection)

Tip us?

DaGamer12345
Old
(Last edited by DaGamer12345; 16th December 2013 at 01:11 AM.) Reason: Explanation for freezing TouchWiz added.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Rooted SGS4 - Play Store does not connect (either Server Error or No Connection)

Now, you guys probably have seen a few of these threads from the past but hear me out:
I rooted my Verizon Galaxy S4 today with this method, and it successfully rooted my phone. But when I tried launching Google Play/related apps or Gmail, and I'm on my wifi (I don't know if this is just mine, or if it will not work over any wifi, cannot test yet), I either get Server Error or No Connection. Also, notifications say that my connection is unstable despite the fact that it wasn't before root. I narrowed down the Server Error to Adblock Plus, but I get No Connection on my wifi with it disabled. It worked fine before root even with Adblock Plus, but now it's being weird after. I've tried MarketEnabler, clearing the Google Servives Framework and Google Play data/cache, unlinking my Google account, reinstalling Google Play, etc. But all to no avail. Reflashing gapps is not an option because I do not have a custom recovery because of a locked bootloader. So what else could I possibly do to fix the issue? I don't want to have to download all my apps with data because that could rack up huge charges for big apps. I also do not want to have to unroot or restore factory defaults. I haven't touched any apps (besides freezing TouchWiz Home, because I use a different launcher, and Knox Notification Manager in Ti, which shouldn't even affect Google Play or Gmail). So, yeah. That's my issue.

blueangel0508
Old
Thanks Meter 21
May be a silly question, but have you tried restarting your s4? I have gotten those errors before and a restart helped. I'm on mj7 stock rooted from old and slow and I get the wifi connection unstable when I'm close to out of range.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DaGamer12345
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel0508 View Post
May be a silly question, but have you tried restarting your s4? I have gotten those errors before and a restart helped. I'm on mj7 stock rooted from old and slow and I get the wifi connection unstable when I'm close to out of range.

Every time I tried clearing a cache I have. In fact, I just rebooted as I am writing this post. Still didn't work.

blueangel0508
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Dang I was hoping I had helped..maybe someone else can point you in better direction..but if I run across solution I'll post it here for you

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1239

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamer12345 View Post
Now, you guys probably have seen a few of these threads from the past but hear me out:
I rooted my Verizon Galaxy S4 today with this method, and it successfully rooted my phone. But when I tried launching Google Play/related apps or Gmail, and I'm on my wifi (I don't know if this is just mine, or if it will not work over any wifi, cannot test yet), I either get Server Error or No Connection. Also, notifications say that my connection is unstable despite the fact that it wasn't before root. I narrowed down the Server Error to Adblock Plus, but I get No Connection on my wifi with it disabled. It worked fine before root even with Adblock Plus, but now it's being weird after. I've tried MarketEnabler, clearing the Google Servives Framework and Google Play data/cache, unlinking my Google account, reinstalling Google Play, etc. But all to no avail. Reflashing gapps is not an option because I do not have a custom recovery because of a locked bootloader. So what else could I possibly do to fix the issue? I don't want to have to download all my apps with data because that could rack up huge charges for big apps. I also do not want to have to unroot or restore factory defaults. I haven't touched any apps (besides freezing TouchWiz Home, because I use a different launcher, and Knox Notification Manager in Ti, which shouldn't even affect Google Play or Gmail). So, yeah. That's my issue.
That's not something that anyone has reported. I'm assuming that you've removed Adblock Plus (however, that shouldn't have any impact here.)

It's strange that the Wifi problem only happens with Gmail and Google Play.
What I'd suggest is to uninstall the Google Play updates, then reboot. That'll start you with a known good Google Play app. Then, reinstall the updates using Google Play.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

mattyp92
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamer12345 View Post
I actually have had a few of the same issues and internet apps frequently freeze and crash too. I uninstalled Adblock Plus and it fixed the problem for the most part.

DaGamer12345
Old
(Last edited by DaGamer12345; 16th December 2013 at 02:40 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
That's not something that anyone has reported. I'm assuming that you've removed Adblock Plus (however, that shouldn't have any impact here.)

It's strange that the Wifi problem only happens with Gmail and Google Play.
What I'd suggest is to uninstall the Google Play updates, then reboot. That'll start you with a known good Google Play app. Then, reinstall the updates using Google Play.
No, I have not removed Adblock Plus. Just turned it off when testing. Uninstalled updates for Google play, it factory-restored to 4.3.11, issue still occurs. Google Play updated, issue persists.

DaGamer12345
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I just found out what the problem was. I had Adblock Plus before root, and had custom network configs. Turns out, since ABP was no longer routing the connections, certain apps couldn't connect. I got rid of the configs, and started Google Play, and BAM it connected. So, I fixed the problem.