5,600,725 Members 37,835 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Questions about rooting, region locks, efuse

Tip us?

s2kdriver80
Old
(Last edited by s2kdriver80; 1st December 2013 at 06:43 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Question [Q] Questions about rooting, region locks, efuse

I have a few general questions I hope some people can answer to help me understand these topics better, numbered it for ease of replying.

1) For unlocked stock firmwares, what is the point of Samsung having multiple firmware files for different countries/regions? If you go to sammobile's website, you can see what I mean. I understand having different firmwares for different providers as they have their own bloatware/branding. But unless the unlocked firmware files contain different languages for different countries/regions, what is the reason for multiple unlocked firmwares? Gets confusing when choosing a firmware to flash your unlocked device (if I should choose UK or Germany, for example - and I'm sure both would contain the English and German languages anyway).

2) Is region locking now a non-issue ever since CF's region lock away solution? I'm assuming if I had an unlocked phone with original firmware that was not region-locked, that I shouldn't have to worry about upgrading to another unlocked firmware (that does contain region-locking) since CF's solution works? Or should I be worried about upgrading into a firmware that does have region locking?

3) Do all firmwares that contain Knox have the potential efuse trigger? And if so, what actions trigger that efuse? I gather from reading the forums that normal rooting triggers it (the DLV method excepted). But what if I wanted to flash my unlocked device with another stock firmware from another region (because I liked that firmware better) - would that trigger the efuse as well? Any other conditions/activities that would trigger the efuse?

Thanks in advance for helping me out with these n00bish questions.

s2kdriver80
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Anyone want to take a crack at these questions? Thanks!

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80 View Post
I have a few general questions I hope some people can answer to help me understand these topics better, numbered it for ease of replying.

1) For unlocked stock firmwares, what is the point of Samsung having multiple firmware files for different countries/regions? If you go to sammobile's website, you can see what I mean. I understand having different firmwares for different providers as they have their own bloatware/branding. But unless the unlocked firmware files contain different languages for different countries/regions, what is the reason for multiple unlocked firmwares? Gets confusing when choosing a firmware to flash your unlocked device (if I should choose UK or Germany, for example - and I'm sure both would contain the English and German languages anyway).

2) Is region locking now a non-issue ever since CF's region lock away solution? I'm assuming if I had an unlocked phone with original firmware that was not region-locked, that I shouldn't have to worry about upgrading to another unlocked firmware (that does contain region-locking) since CF's solution works? Or should I be worried about upgrading into a firmware that does have region locking?

3) Do all firmwares that contain Knox have the potential efuse trigger? And if so, what actions trigger that efuse? I gather from reading the forums that normal rooting triggers it (the DLV method excepted). But what if I wanted to flash my unlocked device with another stock firmware from another region (because I liked that firmware better) - would that trigger the efuse as well? Any other conditions/activities that would trigger the efuse?

Thanks in advance for helping me out with these n00bish questions.
1. The different firmwares have variations on carrier specific bloatware and/or regional basebands that could impact your connection, although in reality, I've never had any problem using other modems on various Samsung devices in my region. This tends to vary quite a bit by region, so sometimes it matters, othertimes, it does not.

The general rule is to stick with your region if possible, but otherwise, if you want to avoid bloat, any firmware is possible as long as you make sure it's for your specific variant. That's the biggest caveat.

2. CF Region unlocking only works for the 9005, so Exynos based International models are not supported. Ony time will tell how long the exploit CF has found will actually be viable in future firmware updates. Things could change overnight.

3. Firmware versions beginning with J3 and above have the Knox bootloader, as far as anyone can tell at this point. I used to care about the Knox trigger, and it really pissed me off with the S4, but I've come to accept it as a price one must pay. In reality, all major players are working toward this "safety" goal. LG has their own version of a locked bootloader, etc. What triggers the Knox eFuse is custom ROM/Kernel/Recovery. Rooting alone isn't really enough to do it.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2]Stock N900UBUDNB2 FEB 14, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNA1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalgodon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1241

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon View Post
1. The different firmwares have variations on carrier specific bloatware and/or regional basebands that could impact your connection, although in reality, I've never had any problem using other modems on various Samsung devices in my region. This tends to vary quite a bit by region, so sometimes it matters, othertimes, it does not.
Not bloatware no, more carrier information, APN - http homepage/email set up etc. Unless it is a carrier's firmware rather than an unbranded firmware (unlocked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon
The general rule is to stick with your region if possible, but otherwise, if you want to avoid bloat, any firmware is possible as long as you make sure it's for your specific variant. That's the biggest caveat.
Agreed. But you can install another region firmware if you wanted faster updates, or an update which is region specific
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Liquid // UBER //
// Note 3 (SM-N9005) // AOSP ROM of variety // Lean or temasek's Kernel // - Dumped. No more Samsung
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Not bloatware no, more carrier information, APN - http homepage/email set up etc. Unless it is a carrier's firmware rather than an unbranded firmware (unlocked)

Agreed. But you can install another region firmware if you wanted faster updates, or an update which is region specific
Right. I just meant to say that some firmwares are carrier firmware and others are open and tend to have less carrier branding and bloat in them.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2]Stock N900UBUDNB2 FEB 14, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNA1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13

s2kdriver80
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Wow thanks guys for your detailed replies, much appreciated.

1) Yea, regarding the multiple firmware choices, I understand the need for separate firmware files depending on carrier-specific requirements. However, for a specific model of an unlocked/unbranded phone (say, the GT-I9505), the hardware should be identical regardless of where it's originally sold in the world. So it looks like the only reason for having multiple firmware files for say an unlocked GT-I9505 would be to include different languages. Why not just have one firmware file for a given unlocked phone and just include all languages? Unless I'm missing something here. A little confusing when I go to download a firmware file for my unlocked phone and have to wonder which choice contains the "best" upgrades.

2) So from what you say, as of right now, the N9005 version of the Note 3 is susceptible to CF's region lock away solution, which is great. Is this also true for all other Snapdragon-equipped models like the Galaxy S4?

3) So the Knox efuse becomes an issue only if you seek warranty work, correct? It doesn't actually hinder or restrict your ability to mod the phone even after the efuse is triggered?

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1241

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80 View Post
Wow thanks guys for your detailed replies, much appreciated.

1) Yea, regarding the multiple firmware choices, I understand the need for separate firmware files depending on carrier-specific requirements. However, for a specific model of an unlocked/unbranded phone (say, the GT-I9505), the hardware should be identical regardless of where it's originally sold in the world. So it looks like the only reason for having multiple firmware files for say an unlocked GT-I9505 would be to include different languages. Why not just have one firmware file for a given unlocked phone and just include all languages? Unless I'm missing something here. A little confusing when I go to download a firmware file for my unlocked phone and have to wonder which choice contains the "best" upgrades.
Yup different languages and region specific updates (Poland tend to update before UK for example)

Quote:
2) So from what you say, as of right now, the N9005 version of the Note 3 is susceptible to CF's region lock away solution, which is great. Is this also true for all other Snapdragon-equipped models like the Galaxy S4?
It seems it works yes, a few conflicting reports, but 9 out of 10 seem to be ok, as for other models I'm not sure

Quote:
3) So the Knox efuse becomes an issue only if you seek warranty work, correct? It doesn't actually hinder or restrict your ability to mod the phone even after the efuse is triggered?
Well yes and No.

Samsung are honouring some warranty work with 0x1 and sometimes they are not.

As for things working correctly, once tripped to 0x1 you cannot use KNOX functions, encrypt your containers etc. - Possibly be one or two other things you can't use that may not have been found yet(?)
But no it doesn't restrict anything once triggered bar what I posted about.
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Liquid // UBER //
// Note 3 (SM-N9005) // AOSP ROM of variety // Lean or temasek's Kernel // - Dumped. No more Samsung

Muffycheeks
Old
(Last edited by Muffycheeks; 16th December 2013 at 04:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 79
Will ChainFire's Region Lock Away TRIP Knox...if rooted with Knox not tripped?.
Don't just say thanks.... HIT THANKS BUTTON.... if I helped you

Tags
efuse, knox, region lock, rooting