5,595,268 Members 47,146 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SGH-T989D (Telus/Koodo) ROMs

Tip us?

Caveman_eh
Old
(Last edited by Caveman_eh; 11th December 2013 at 01:13 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] SGH-T989D (Telus/Koodo) ROMs

My SGH-T989D is buggy. It's rooted and running stock ROM. I figured I might as well flash a new ROM because I'm getting tired of constantly having to deal with this phones issues. I'm thinking about flashing "BeanStalk 4.3.1-1015 - 4.4008 | Linaro-4.8.2 | Diablo3.0 Kernel | [11-26-13]". I just have a couple questions.

1) My phone doesn't actually turn on right now. This morning it was fine, then I powered it down to write a final exam. When I went to turn it back on, it just gets stuck on the screen with the pulsing S. I am able to open my TWRP. My question is, is it fine/safe to flash a new ROM when my phone is in this state. Also, any suggestions on how to fix this or what could be wrong?

2) BeanStalk 4.3.1-1015 - 4.4008 | Linaro-4.8.2 | Diablo3.0 Kernel | [11-26-13] is for the T-Mobile SGH-T989. Will this ROM work on my Telus/Koodo SGH-T989D? Also, are all ROMs for these two phones compatible?

Almite
Old
Thanks Meter 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman_eh View Post
My SGH-T989D is buggy. It's rooted and running stock ROM. I figured I might as well flash a new ROM because I'm getting tired of constantly having to deal with this phones issues. I'm thinking about flashing "BeanStalk 4.3.1-1015 - 4.4008 | Linaro-4.8.2 | Diablo3.0 Kernel | [11-26-13]". I just have a couple questions.

1) My phone doesn't actually turn on right now. This morning it was fine, then I powered it down to write a final exam. When I went to turn it back on, it just gets stuck on the screen with the pulsing S. I am able to open my TWRP. My question is, is it fine/safe to flash a new ROM when my phone is in this state. Also, any suggestions on how to fix this or what could be wrong?

2) BeanStalk 4.3.1-1015 - 4.4008 | Linaro-4.8.2 | Diablo3.0 Kernel | [11-26-13] is for the T-Mobile SGH-T989. Will this ROM work on my Telus/Koodo SGH-T989D? Also, are all ROMs for these two phones compatible?
Boot into recovery and check it's version (top right in TWRP), it must be TWRP 2.6.1.0 or CWM 6.0.3.7+ or you will run into issues when flashing/using 4.3+ ROMS, once you have the proper version of recovery then do an advanced wipe, check all except SD and preload, wipe, then goto Settings in TWRP main screen and check "use rm -rf instead of format", go back to advanced wipe and check preload and wipe, you are then all set to flash a newer 4.3+/4.4 ROM.

As far as roms go, you can use 'any' that is made for hercules/T989, the T989D is basically just a Canadian version of the T989.
The Following User Says Thank You to Almite For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Caveman_eh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almite View Post
Boot into recovery and check it's version (top right in TWRP), it must be TWRP 2.6.1.0 or CWM 6.0.3.7+ or you will run into issues when flashing/using 4.3+ ROMS, once you have the proper version of recovery then do an advanced wipe, check all except SD and preload, wipe, then goto Settings in TWRP main screen and check "use rm -rf instead of format", go back to advanced wipe and check preload and wipe, you are then all set to flash a newer 4.3+/4.4 ROM.

As far as roms go, you can use 'any' that is made for hercules/T989, the T989D is basically just a Canadian version of the T989.
Thanks a bunch, new rom is a success, just having problems with gapps. when i install the gapps package then reboot the device, i get a message saying " Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" so i touch "ok" the another message pops up saying" Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped". if i touch ok to this, it just comes up again, this goes on to no end.

Caveman_eh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Figured it out

Quote:

Just wanted to say thanks again. i used a different gapps package and its working great

iamdofus
Old
Thanks Meter 36

DONATE TO ME
I have problem when ever i install any rom(aosp based/non touchwiz) after proper flashing, it stuck on gallery app and start taking reboot. Help Me out

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

BH90210
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks again. i used a different gapps package and its working great
Hey,
Ran into the same problem, what GAPP file did you use?

Thanks!

Caveman_eh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH90210 View Post
Hey,
Ran into the same problem, what GAPP file did you use?

Thanks!
I actually found this package on XDA. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2560364. this is the one i used.
also, found this by following a link off that page, there appears to be an update as of this morning
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2397942

Caveman_eh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Video recording not working

So, I thought everything went seamlessly until I tried recording a video today. The camera takes pictures fine, but will not record video. This is the case in every app I've tried (camera app, snapchat, various apps off play store). When I press the record button, it lights up then returns to normal. No error messages just a button that does nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Almite
Old
Thanks Meter 250
Quote:
So, I thought everything went seamlessly until I tried recording a video today. The camera takes pictures fine, but will not record video. This is the case in every app I've tried (camera app, snapchat, various apps off play store). When I press the record button, it lights up then returns to normal. No error messages just a button that does nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Video recording was not working on most 4.4 based/cm11 etc roms for our device, it was just fixed as of today, so if you get a updated rom it 'should' be fixed, just ask in the thread or check OP to see if they list video recording as working.
The Following User Says Thank You to Almite For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Caveman_eh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Video recording was not working on most 4.4 based/cm11 etc roms for our device, it was just fixed as of today, so if you get a updated rom it 'should' be fixed, just ask in the thread or check OP to see if they list video recording as working.
Thanks again. I'll look into this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app