5,595,645 Members 45,460 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Usb Host: Ethernet Adapter (Driver Compile Requested For Money)

Tip us?

SamAlexander
Old
(Last edited by SamAlexander; 15th December 2013 at 11:55 PM.) Reason: Driver>Money Exchange
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Usb Host: Ethernet Adapter (Driver Compile Requested For Money)

Greetings....

I am hoping to get my Asix Usb to Ethernet adapter working with my nook STG. I believe the only remaining requirement is to compile the drivers for it (which are android 2.x compatible according to the driver manufacturer website).
I am rooted and have 'usb host mode' successfully working.
When my adapter is plugged in, it displays as a 'connected device' in my Usb Host information app and shows the details; make/model etc - so its connected successfully.
It works plugnplay with my other droid devices, however in these devices there is an Asix driver folder in /sys/bus/usb/drivers and there is not in my Nook, thus I believe i simply need to compile the drivers which will create the Asix driver folder.

If you have the correct setup and can compile the drivers for me (and potentially other Nook users), i will exchange them for 10GPB or 10 of your currency, via your desired means.
I am slowly trying myself on an ubuntu vm in windows but can only use the pc for short periods due to eye troubles; hence trying to use a Nook as my sole computer.

INFO:
Device: Nook STG firmware 1.21 - kernel source file link = images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/Nook/source-code/nook2_1-2.tgz
Adapter Driver: Asix AX88772 - driver source file link = www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/driver/AX88772C_772B_772A_760_772_178_LINUX_Driver_v4.11. 0_Source.tar.bz2
Adapter Info: BobjGear Adapter made for Android Tablets = www.amazon.co.uk/BobjGear-Ethernet-Exceptions-Description-Ultrabooks/dp/B007RTACDM
Other info: An XDA thread compiling the same drivers - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37548841

I don't know how to apply the drivers so I need to learn how to do so, I have ADB set up and have Noogie, CWM and NookManager .img also.

Any other info needed i will provide

Sam

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 699
Just a quick comment:

Host mode on the Nook currently uses a lot of power.
Something like >100mA in comparison to a usual 8 mA or so.
It's not been tracked down yet.
I can get you better figures for this later.

Presumably this is for some fixed install using hard-wired power?

SamAlexander
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
Presumably this is for some fixed install using hard-wired power?
No I'm actually just using it as it is; no hardware mods.
I have not used usb host enough to know the drain speed but while plugged in to a live ethernet yesterday, it drained seemingly quick.
This isn't a preventative issue though; my need to access the web on the nook via ethernet (no wifi dizziness) is urgent.
If i had to recharge every 10 mins e.g, this would be extremely hindering but still necessary.
Hard wiring may be desirable (maybe not if it's permanent), i haven't read any posts on it thus far.
I do have a powered hub etc if applicable, i dont know if it can charge as well as hosting from the usb.

Sam

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 699
Yes, you can USB host and charge.
I'd recommend a back-powering hub.
That way, if you want to throw a USB keyboard on it too, you can.
See: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=103

SamAlexander
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Great, i'll give it a try