XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ? how can I overcome the 4gb file system limitation

Tip us?

dasbooter
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] ? how can I overcome the 4gb file system limitation

I would like to repurpose my N1 as a little WiFi capable storage device. I have been combing the internet for solutions and tried a few things. I can't seem to get a combination of android OS partition scheme and file system to accomplish this. Can somebody point me in the right direction. I am not picky about any of the details but it would be nice to be readable from windows. I am currently messing around with ext4 and using ext2fsd but I am not really getting anywhere.

Thanks if u can help me out

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbooter View Post
I would like to repurpose my N1 as a little WiFi capable storage device. I have been combing the internet for solutions and tried a few things. I can't seem to get a combination of android OS partition scheme and file system to accomplish this. Can somebody point me in the right direction. I am not picky about any of the details but it would be nice to be readable from windows. I am currently messing around with ext4 and using ext2fsd but I am not really getting anywhere.

Thanks if u can help me out
You can flash a custom ROM (I recommend Evervolv KitKat) and use a2sd. Then you'll have up to 32 G on the external sdcard (which becomes a virtual "internal" sdcard.

Sent from my Nexus One

NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK442 FK47 DALVIK XPOSED TWRP2734

dasbooter
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD View Post
You can flash a custom ROM (I recommend Evervolv KitKat) and use a2sd. Then you'll have up to 32 G on the external sdcard (which becomes a virtual "internal" sdcard.

Sent from my Nexus One
Hey thanks I already had a custom rom going with jelly bean and have a ext4 partition with a2sd install but it to make it visible even to linux seems to be a challenge and I dont know why. I also seem to get errors when downloading files bigger than 4gb which makes no sense. I dunno maybe i should get an otg card reader and put the old 4gb back in the phone and put the 32 gb in the card reader and use paragon software. Any body think this might work or have another suggestion.

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbooter View Post
Hey thanks I already had a custom rom going with jelly bean and have a ext4 partition with a2sd install but it to make it visible even to linux seems to be a challenge and I dont know why. I also seem to get errors when downloading files bigger than 4gb which makes no sense. I dunno maybe i should get an otg card reader and put the old 4gb back in the phone and put the 32 gb in the card reader and use paragon software. Any body think this might work or have another suggestion.
How about partitions sizes?

Sent from my Nexus 5

NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK442 FK47 DALVIK XPOSED TWRP2734

dasbooter
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD View Post
How about partitions sizes?

Sent from my Nexus 5
Thnks again, The fat 32 partition is aprox 6gb and the ext4 partition is aprox 22gb so ya the ext4 is much bigger than the fat32 but that is what would make it practically useful. Right now I seem to be getting i/o errors around the 4 gb size area of a torrent? for a vmware image of a linux distro.