Learning to Develop for the Android Platform

Tip us?

frarredo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Default Learning to Develop for the Android Platform

I'm a college student, Just finished a C programming, and Intro Java Class, ( i am starting a CSE minor at UCSD which i plan to finish by summer), relatively intelligent, very interested in technology.

What do I need to learn? Are there any books/textbooks anyone could recommend i read or follow to help me learn?
Im interested in developing apps and also custom roms!

I have just set up Eclipse and the Android SDK on my Mac. I know about the tutorials on googles developer site, i am just starting these but it seems like they require so prerequisite knowledge. I notices that the code in the my first app look alot like java. (if it isnt completely java)

Any other ideas or links anyone can share?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

coiso22
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi frarredo,

Make the tutorials from android-developers web site is a good start point, and in my opinion, you should use the android-developers web site always as the main reference to build your android applications. However, you have very good references in the internet like Vogela tutorials and others.

My first advice to you is: start reading the android documentation before you start the implementation process. You do not need to read all the documentation and can give a quick read to get a general idea. But, is very important that you understand some basic Android concepts. As you said, the tutorials seem to require some previous knowledge. If you read, it is much easy to understand what you are doing
I know that sometimes this is boring but is really very important.

The android-developers have a very good documentation, so take a look at: developer. android. com/ guide/ components
(I can not post links yet, sorry)

If you want to know more about Android and in the future build custom roms or whatever, I suggest you to read a very good book: Embebed Android from Karim Yaghmour.

Last, but not least, you have all the forums from xda
The Following User Says Thank You to coiso22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]