XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No AT&T OTA update if rooted?

Tip us?

Jspeer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default No AT&T OTA update if rooted?

Tried to take the ota cause I read that after the update you can just reroot with the io tool. When I tried to take the update it said this device is suspected of rooting or something along those lines and the update failed to download and install. Has this happened to anyone else?

milestide25
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeer View Post
Tried to take the ota cause I read that after the update you can just reroot with the io tool. When I tried to take the update it said this device is suspected of rooting or something along those lines and the update failed to download and install. Has this happened to anyone else?
I didn't have this issue. I downloaded the update, but my problem was that I had a custom recovery installed and when my chromecast rebooted my phone, it sent it into a bootloop that wouldn't get out of recovery. I found an article here to fix that, but needless to say that I won't be doing OTA's with custom recovery again.
Current Phone: LG G2 - D800
Previous Phones: LG Optimus T, HTC Glacier (MyTouch 4G), LG Optimus L9, Samsung Focus
Preferred ROM: AOKP

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 8GB DDR3-1333, Gigabyte Radeon HD6670, Windows 7
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite, Intel Celeron, 3 GB SDRAM, Kubuntu 13.04

btm fdr
Old
Thanks Meter 723
If you take the update, your recovery will loop. There is a fix for it in the root thread by @thecubed. So, the choice is yours.

Sent from my LG-D800
Device LG-D800
Rom AeonFlex
Kernel Stock
Recovery TWRP

Jspeer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I was just rooted on the stock rom. Forgot to mention that. I did however have "survive ota" checked in superuser though, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I haven't tried it again with that unchecked. The update just isn't important enough to me to justify messing with it, I just took it because I was out of postpone attempts. But now the message is completely gone and not nagging me anymore and everything still works fine root and all.

p.valenta
Old
Thanks Meter 478

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
OTA update from Phone will fail if you are rooted. Either on custom recovery or rooted status. Don't use update from phone, but connect phone to PC and use LG Support Tool. This one doesn't care of root, it will download full 10c update 1.9GB and update your phone. I just did it this way (rooted + TWRP). No problem, no data lost.

But of course, you need to root it again and install custom recovery as well.
Current Device: LG G2 (Hong Kong D802 model) rooted, xposed
Current ROM: LG KitKat 4.4.2 D80220a-HKG-XX
Current Kernel: LG 3.4.0 custom KK kernel with JB bootloader support
Current Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0

Author of: [XPOSED] LG G2 Fix Plug & Pop FC Mod, [XPOSED] Complete Action Plus Mod, [XPOSED][KK] LG Pie Support

Past Device: LG Optimus 2X

Jspeer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.valenta View Post
OTA update from Phone will fail if you are rooted. Either on custom recovery or rooted status. Don't use update from phone, but connect phone to PC and use LG Support Tool. This one doesn't care of root, it will download full 10c update 1.9GB and update your phone. I just did it this way (rooted + TWRP). No problem, no data lost.

But of course, you need to root it again and install custom recovery as well.
Where can I download the lg support tool? Do you have a link?

p.valenta
Old
Thanks Meter 478

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Where can I download the lg support tool? Do you have a link?
You can get it from LG website. Or for example in this thread.
Current Device: LG G2 (Hong Kong D802 model) rooted, xposed
Current ROM: LG KitKat 4.4.2 D80220a-HKG-XX
Current Kernel: LG 3.4.0 custom KK kernel with JB bootloader support
Current Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0

Author of: [XPOSED] LG G2 Fix Plug & Pop FC Mod, [XPOSED] Complete Action Plus Mod, [XPOSED][KK] LG Pie Support

Past Device: LG Optimus 2X

gold3ndrag0n
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default Don't do it!

Unless you NEED the ISIS functionality, I STRONGLY urge you to postpone or even disregard D80010o altogether. I don't know what "bug fixes" their release notes talked about as I've not seen one single improvement over D80010d, yet battery drain, battery drain. Once you update you'll notice your battery going downhill and all of a sudden "Android System" takes up about 50% of your battery usage. It's happened to 2 LG G2s I've owned, battery was phenomenal before the update, after the update... like I said. You'll learn to hate "Android System". I'd either wait for 4.3 or KitKat altogether.