5,593,248 Members 32,445 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Using NFC to start a hotspot?

Tip us?

FadedOasis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Using NFC to start a hotspot?

I recently bought some NFC tags, and I've been playing around with them. They all seem to work fine, and I'm getting cool stuff done with Trigger. What I can't seem to do, though, is toggle a wifi hotspot by tapping a tag. I've tried Trigger's Wifi Hotspot checkbox, but that doesn't seem to do anything. So I figured it's because I need to use Verizon's Mobile Hotspot app, so I'll do things the hard way. The closest I can get is Open Activity > Mobile Hotspot > com.lge.mobilehotspot.ui.MHPactivity, which launches the menu, and requires an additional tap to start it. I've tried the com.lge.mobilehotspot.ui.MHPOnOffActivity, but that just causes an error: "Unfortunately, com.lge.mobilehotspot.ui has stopped."

I'd really like to just tap my phone on the NFC tag to toggle a hotspot. I'm running stock 4.2.2 on a G2 - VS980, and I am rooted.

Any ideas?

matthewtyson
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I would like the solution too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedOasis View Post
I recently bought some NFC tags, and I've been playing around with them. They all seem to work fine, and I'm getting cool stuff done with Trigger. What I can't seem to do, though, is toggle a wifi hotspot by tapping a tag. I've tried Trigger's Wifi Hotspot checkbox, but that doesn't seem to do anything. So I figured it's because I need to use Verizon's Mobile Hotspot app, so I'll do things the hard way. The closest I can get is Open Activity > Mobile Hotspot > com.lge.mobilehotspot.ui.MHPactivity, which launches the menu, and requires an additional tap to start it. I've tried the com.lge.mobilehotspot.ui.MHPOnOffActivity, but that just causes an error: "Unfortunately, com.lge.mobilehotspot.ui has stopped."

I'd really like to just tap my phone on the NFC tag to toggle a hotspot. I'm running stock 4.2.2 on a G2 - VS980, and I am rooted.

Any ideas?

geoff5093
Old
Thanks Meter 134
I used the app "Trigger" to toggle the build-in mobile hotspot using NFC tags.

steeltkb
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedOasis View Post

Any ideas?
I haven't played with NFC tags, but seeing as CyanogenMod has a toggle for the WiFi hotspot, I'd bet good money that you'd be able to use Trigger to flip the CM toggle, since the WiFi AP functionality is built-in. I'd recommend trying out the stable CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM for the VS980, it's nice. I'm using it right now, and WiFi tether works great.

FadedOasis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
I used the app "Trigger" to toggle the build-in mobile hotspot using NFC tags.
I already mentioned that I tried using Trigger, and that I've tried doing exactly what you said. It didn't work. Nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltkb View Post
I haven't played with NFC tags, but seeing as CyanogenMod has a toggle for the WiFi hotspot, I'd bet good money that you'd be able to use Trigger to flip the CM toggle, since the WiFi AP functionality is built-in. I'd recommend trying out the stable CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM for the VS980, it's nice. I'm using it right now, and WiFi tether works great.
I'd rather not have to install a new ROM to fix one issue, seems like addressing a leaky pipe by building a new house.

Anyone have any ideas that don't require a new ROM?