5,594,386 Members 34,688 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Weird unprovoked Jellybean Samsung logo brick question

Tip us?

Ryongsyong
Old
(Last edited by Ryongsyong; 7th December 2013 at 05:26 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Weird unprovoked Jellybean Samsung logo brick question

Hi,

A few days ago I upgraded my Note from a very ancient (stock) Gingerbread ROM to (stock) Jellybean. I hadn't been getting OTA updates because the Gingerbread was originally German rather than UK, so quite a long time had passed without any updates. Anyway, because of the no OTA, I used Odin. Everything went fine and I had a nice few days of usage, although the battery consumption seemed to suddenly be quite high, mainly due to additional wakelocks from the new Google Search it looked like. The night before last at about 3% the phone turned itself off, which is unusual as normally the battery will run itself lower than that. BTW, it's an official battery bought just a few months ago to replace the one before, which was getting old.

Yesterday evening when I went to use the phone it was dead. Completely unresponsive. It wouldn't charge either. (The battery had been at about fourteen percent I think, so it should have still had a lot of juice left.) Turning it on would leave it stuck on the Samsung logo only. Recovery mode didn't work, but I could get download mode up, so I installed the Philz kernel as people have said, and then did a reset using that, and all was okay again and after reflashing the ROM I could use the phone again, although because of the reset I had to set everything up again.

Just wondering what people think caused it. Just a weird coincidence, or something else? As far as I'm concerned, the problem has been sort of mitigated for now, but definitely not fixed, because what's to stop it happening again? Has anyone heard of strange things going on with Jellybean? I know there's an issue with flashing/resetting from ICS, but I never used that so I don't think that's an issue, and it looks like it was just a soft brick only. Still, a bit weird and worrying. Does anyone have any ideas?

XxPixX
Old
Thanks Meter 390
That was caused by an unexpected shutdown of your phone - if you remove the battery without it fully turning off then you will get it and yeah, blame samsung.
The only way not to have it again is to flash philz kernel with the bootloop fix BEFORE you get the bootloop. Alternativly, if you get it again then you can try what is in this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2186229

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
ROM: Homemade OmniROM KitKat 4.4 with a few cherry-picks
Version: January 12th 2014
Kernel: Stock Kernel

Ryongsyong
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxPixX View Post
That was caused by an unexpected shutdown of your phone - if you remove the battery without it fully turning off then you will get it and yeah, blame samsung.
The only way not to have it again is to flash philz kernel with the bootloop fix BEFORE you get the bootloop. Alternativly, if you get it again then you can try what is in this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2186229
I didn't take the battery out though. It was low but not dead.

Since then it has happened once again, a few days ago, this time at 93% full. I was doing nothing at all taxing to the phone. I was just in a shop listening to an mp3 with the screen off, and then it stopped and the next thing I saw was the bootloop. Luckily (thanks to the new kernel?) I could just delete cache/dalvik and be back up and running again without having to reinstall everything. Today my screen temporarily went a weird purple colour like in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2216867 . Sounds like it's just dying in general really, rather than anything else. My phone contract upgrade date is in two days. Purely a coincidence of course. Weird how phones tend to last about the length of a mobile phone contract. Until then I'm just running on power saving mode and hoping for the best.