5,593,293 Members 33,020 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best way to identify a cheaper tablet?

Tip us?

ninjames
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default [Q] Best way to identify a cheaper tablet?

A relative of mine has a cheap tablet and it's pretty beaten up. However, he wants to give it to his niece and isn't of a mind to buy a better one. He got it second hand, and the thing turns on, and goes to an "android" screen. There, it does nothing. It freezes and stays that way until it dies. I was wondering what the best way to go about trying to fix this thing. Would identifying it be the first thing and if so, could anyone offer some guidance? I'm no stranger to rooting and flashing custom roms and the like, just not sure where I'd start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ninjames
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Bump

Neptune23
Old
Thanks Meter 15
ninjames, have you checked if this device has a recovery installed. If you are lucky and find the correct buttons to boot to recovery maybe resetting to factory defauls will bring it back to life.

Can post a link to a picture of your device (front and back). Maybe someone will recognize it and will point you to a stock rom which you can reflash.
My actual Hardware: RK2918, RK3066, RK3188, MTK6577, ATM7029
Wanted: Looking for MPDC88BT 3.0.36 Kernel or Kernel Sources for TVE811S Board

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5419
- Identify the device (OEM, model etc.)
- If it's a "known" OEM, it probably has its own forum section here, so check that out for more help if that's the case.
- Try to google "device name + model + bootloader buttons", and if you're lucky, the bootloader will have its own stock recovery (like Samsungs, LGs etc.)

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.