XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Screen Just Shows Multicolored Pixels

Tip us?

rabid platypus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Screen Just Shows Multicolored Pixels

Hello Everyone. Well, I just found out that my 16 month old son is tall enough to reach up and blindly fish for things on the edge of my kitchen counters. I heard him laughing and banging something against the linoleum floor, so I went to investigate. That something was my phone, which was just previously on the edge of the counter. I recovered my phone and replaced it with his old cricket phone that we gave him to play with. I inspected the phone, and there were no cracks, dents, or any other physical damage. The buttons, touchscreen, speaker, and everything else worked. My phone worked liked normal, so I didn't think anything else of it.

Two days later, something funny happened. I turned on my screen, and it just showed a screen full of multicolored pixels. I plugged my phone into the charger, and the screen returned to normal. This started happening more frequently, and I would just turn my screen off and on until it returned to normal. Two days after the first incident, the screen now permanently displays the full screen of multicolored pixels. Nothing I do will correct it. Every single other aspect of the phone works correctly, even the touchscreen.

So, I am here hoping you guys can help me figure out what is wrong. I can take the phone completely apart and fix or replace a part that is broken. What do you guys thing is wrong or broken?

Here is a picture of what my phone displays.

igobytony
Old
Thanks Meter 10
it is a known issue, and especially not uncommon after drops. mine just started doing it intermittently. the thread below is one that I was actually just reading before popping over here and noticing this thread.

I'm debating between taking it in right now (and risking them giving me trouble because of rooting) or just waiting until the screen stays static and then taking it in.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/587468

Evolution_Freak
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Mine did this today. Hasn't been dropped at all. It happened when I tried to turn screen on. When plugged into pc, nothing is detected. I have to bring it to a Sprint store.

Sent from my CMP741E using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

paul1732
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've lost two Evos to this problem. If you have insurance take it in...there are intermittent reports of Sprint replacing broken Evos with a new HTC One.

Sent from my SM-T217S using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to paul1732 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lreyes
Old
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
it is a known issue, and especially not uncommon after drops. mine just started doing it intermittently. the thread below is one that I was actually just reading before popping over here and noticing this thread.

I'm debating between taking it in right now (and risking them giving me trouble because of rooting) or just waiting until the screen stays static and then taking it in.

You'll never get in trouble for rooting. As long you have Sense on. You'll be good.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

If you need any help,task to be done, contact me via PM.

Evolution_Freak
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Turns out that the Sprint store closest to me doesn't do repairs anymore so I was going to have to go 40 miles to another one. I called Sprint and after some waiting, they are sending me a new phone via UPS. I just have to send the other one back to them.

Sent from my CMP741E using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

rabid platypus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
it is a known issue, and especially not uncommon after drops. mine just started doing it intermittently. this thread below is one that I was actually just reading before popping over here and noticing this thread.

Thanks for the link! When I press down on the bottom left of my screen my phone returns to normal. I switched from sprint to ting so I will replace the digitizer myself.