CWM Help!

Tip us?

|| Acer ||
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 529

DONATE TO ME
Default CWM Help!

I'm rooted on stock 4.1 but i didn't have a custom recovery so I flashed cwm rom manager. I was able to make a nandroid backup fine but when I tried rebooting in to the recovery, it would just take me to stock recovery. How do I fix this? Thanks, in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

joeyhdownsouth
Old
(Last edited by joeyhdownsouth; 17th December 2013 at 02:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by || Acer || View Post
I'm rooted on stock 4.1 but i didn't have a custom recovery so I flashed cwm rom manager. I was able to make a nandroid backup fine but when I tried rebooting in to the recovery, it would just take me to stock recovery. How do I fix this? Thanks, in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
For some phones, it seems Rom manager doesn't flash the recovery properly. Just like Goomanager, for me, will not flash TWRP at all. I prefer to flash it using MSkips Toolbox or ODIN by itself if you know how. If you use the toolbox, it will be an older version of CWM, but after you flash the older version and make sure it works by rebooting your phone into recovery, then you can flash the newest version of either CWM or TWRP in ZIP format HERE. ODIN can be tricky for some who've never used it before. The Toolbox automates this process for you.
LG G2(Sprint)-stock for now
Motorola Moto G(unlocked)-ROM/KERNEL:Pac-Man AIO-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced

|| Acer ||
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 529

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhdownsouth View Post
For some phones, it seems Rom manager doesn't flash the recovery properly. Just like Goomanager, for me, will not flash TWRP at all. I prefer to flash it using MSkips Toolbox or ODIN by itself if you know how. If you use the toolbox, it will be an older version of CWM, but after you flash the older version and make sure it works by rebooting your phone into recovery, then you can flash the newest version of either CWM or TWRP in ZIP format HERE. ODIN can be tricky for some who've never used it before. The Toolbox automates this process for you.
Thanks for the help! I didn't know about goomanager until you mentioned it, and it happened to work perfectly for me so I don't have to go through all the trouble

Mr. Struck
Old
Thanks Meter 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by || Acer || View Post
Thanks for the help! I didn't know about goomanager until you mentioned it, and it happened to work perfectly for me so I don't have to go through all the trouble
If you prefer CWM, give Philz Touch a try, it is a very advanced version of CWM, and works great for a lot of users, myself included. There are flashable .zip files for Philz and CWM, if you install both on your SD card there is no harm in switching to Philz in order to check it out, you can then easily flash back to CWM if you want.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446393

P.S. Knowing how to use Odin is a valuable skill, nothing wrong with having an app perform a task like installing a custom recovery as long as you also know the more "nuts and bolts" approach.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Struck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]