5,595,000 Members 39,485 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can You Update after triggering KNOX with ROOT?

Tip us?

English_Gentleman
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default [Q] Can You Update after triggering KNOX with ROOT?

I did look though the form to see if this had been answered but I couldn't see anything. I rooted my Note 3 using Odin and tripped the KNOX counter. Now of course it won't update. Is there a way of getting round this or have I smegged it up already?

Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find anything!
Phones owned:

Nokia 3310 (One2One)
Nokia 7250i (T-Mobile)
Sharp GX30 (Vodafone)
Motorola A1000 (Three)
MDA Pro II (T-Mobile)
Nokia N95 8Gb (T-Mobile)
Nokia N96 (T-Mobile)
Dell Streak 5 (O2)
Samsung Galaxy Note 1 GT-7000 (EE)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-8010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GT-9005 (Vodafone)

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by English_Gentleman View Post
I did look though the form to see if this had been answered but I couldn't see anything. I rooted my Note 3 using Odin and tripped the KNOX counter. Now of course it won't update. Is there a way of getting round this or have I smegged it up already?

Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find anything!
What is your status when you boot to Odin/download mode? (most interested in RP SWREV part).

Either way - you tripped the Knox flag, and as far as we know (so far) that can't be reversed (at least not by us).

However you are now free to do any other Odin stuff you want - for instance you can easily update to some stock NEWER or EQUAL version that you like, or install a custom recovery, kernel or ROM.

Another option might be to try with Kies 3 in "recovery mode" - that should force-update you to the latest official version for your phone. But Knox will most likely stay 1.
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7
The Following User Says Thank You to xclub_101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bulbous
Old
Thanks Meter 65
The reason that it's not updating is because it's rooted, not because the knox flag is tripped. You can't get updates on a rooted phone.
To update it, just download the firmware and then flash it with Odin. You will lose root, but since knox is tripped anyway, just re-root it with CF-Autoroot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbous For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

English_Gentleman
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Thanks guys! I plugged it into Kies and it updated. I lost ROOT but I think I'll leave it for a while now until someone fixes the KNOX tip and a possible way to get updates with ROOT.

Even though it's warranty void... I think I'll leave it for now just so I don't mess it up big time next time!
Phones owned:

Nokia 3310 (One2One)
Nokia 7250i (T-Mobile)
Sharp GX30 (Vodafone)
Motorola A1000 (Three)
MDA Pro II (T-Mobile)
Nokia N95 8Gb (T-Mobile)
Nokia N96 (T-Mobile)
Dell Streak 5 (O2)
Samsung Galaxy Note 1 GT-7000 (EE)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-8010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GT-9005 (Vodafone)

Redi64
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Get Wanam Xposed, you will also need the xposed framework. There is a setting in wanam xposed that let's you fool your system into thinking it's not rooted. You will be able to update that way. I've managed to do it twice and I'm rooted.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk