5,594,564 Members 32,366 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T Insurance Question

Tip us?

ZOOPidy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
I will not report it lost. It has water damage so water damage it is. Thanks though guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK4HIRE View Post
I can't speak to how AT&T and or Assurion would handle the 'loss' of a phone versus a damaged phone. I do know that part of the Mobile Protection Pack is a locator service to help a client with a lost or stolen phone locate it. I believe that AT&T would attempt to locate the phone prior to issuing a replacement.

'Lost' is a very subjective term and I would think that as long as the phone was actually 'lost' there wouldn't be a problem. 'Lost' can mean you snapped the phone in two and then threw it in the trash bin at the grocery store never to see it again. As long as you don't still possess the phone and then claim that it is lost, there is no 'fraud'.

Having said that; I don't really see the purpose of claiming the phone is lost versus damaged as you're still going to get the same marginal customer service, the same iffy replacement and a $200.00 ding on you next bill from AT&T whether you claim water damage or loss.

It's always best to keep things above board even if you screwed up and have to eat it. Companies do refer charges to the police and people do get arrested and prosecuted for fraud, insurance and otherwise, all the time.

Just my $0.02.

Let us know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZOOPidy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Agent
Old
Thanks Meter 338

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimslim View Post
I thought if you lose your phone they'll still send you another one. Declare it stolen or lost, isn't it easier?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK4HIRE View Post
I can't speak to how AT&T and or Assurion would handle the 'loss' of a phone versus a damaged phone. I do know that part of the Mobile Protection Pack is a locator service to help a client with a lost or stolen phone locate it. I believe that AT&T would attempt to locate the phone prior to issuing a replacement.

'Lost' is a very subjective term and I would think that as long as the phone was actually 'lost' there wouldn't be a problem. 'Lost' can mean you snapped the phone in two and then threw it in the trash bin at the grocery store never to see it again. As long as you don't still possess the phone and then claim that it is lost, there is no 'fraud'.

Having said that; I don't really see the purpose of claiming the phone is lost versus damaged as you're still going to get the same marginal customer service, the same iffy replacement and a $200.00 ding on you next bill from AT&T whether you claim water damage or loss.

It's always best to keep things above board even if you screwed up and have to eat it. Companies do refer charges to the police and people do get arrested and prosecuted for fraud, insurance and otherwise, all the time.

Just my $0.02.

Let us know how it goes.
Guys, this is just plain illegal and is not allowed on XDA at all. It's not that hard to just send your damaged phone in. Parts can be salvaged off the phone water damaged or not. It doesn't take that much effort to just send the phone to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Agent For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZOOPidy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Default UPDATE

So a little while ago I checked all the water indicators and they were red still, so I took it to AT&T and they gave me a handout to file a claim with Asurion either by phone or online. They sent me back home and told me that Asurion will mail me a box, where I put my damaged phone in, along with the battery, and the SIM card. I tryed to submit a claim online, but it would not let me. It said that for my protection I would have to go on with the instructions on another phone. I will attempt to call them later once I have another phone in hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZOOPidy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kennyglass123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 23741

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOPidy View Post
I will not report it lost. It has water damage so water damage it is. Thanks though guys.
Thank you for doing the right thing! This is what insurance is for.

Friendly Neighborhood Senior Moderator

Twitter: @kennyglass123 - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kennyglass123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Agent
Old
Thanks Meter 338

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123 View Post
Thank you for doing the right thing! This is what insurance is for.

Friendly Neighborhood Senior Moderator
+1 on that thank you!