5,605,835 Members 47,550 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

my sort of dead amaze

Tip us?

Gr1771n
Old
(Last edited by Gr1771n; 16th December 2013 at 05:31 AM.) Reason: typo lolz my bad
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Location: Around Birmingham somewhere, not getting specific so weirdos don't stalk me
Default my sort of dead amaze

so my amaze has been out of commission for a solid four months and i now have a nexus 5, but today i tried something. I originally thought my amaze's screen ribbon was messed up (it also has a missing contact in the headphone jack the left one to be exact, and both speakers are shot -prior to demolition-), but as it turns out there is actually a short somewhere in the circuitry. I took the liberty of completely tearing apart the phone (literally the plastic band around the glass is destroyed now). so after I have a pile of phone guts i start to put back together what I can. basically I had the screen, circuit boards, and battery sitting in it's shell. I also cleaned off a little corrosion on some of the parts too. then I plug it into my computer and bam the screen comes on! I almost had a heart attack, I honestly didn't expect that, and what is more interesting is that I was able to everything fine until it came time to flashing a ruu to get it back to stock, it wouldn't do it. but I kid you not, after multiple failed ruu flash attempts and a re-lock of the boot-loader I push the power button (more of a squishie than a button now) it started booting up CM10 like it was the day it died on me four months ago! Then when it finished booting up, the touch screen started freaking out and thought that I was touching it everywhere (i'm so glad I always turn on show touches in dev options) then it died again, I guess the short became active again, but here is the weird part, when I had it plugged into my pc and it started glitching I would unplug it and it shorted my pc and made it do a self-save power-out. I just thought i would share this with you guys to see if you have had any hardware probs out of you'r amazes.

ezdi
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I'm sure plenty of people have them.

Screen bleed is the most famous.
Randomly shutting off is common too.
HTC has crappy power buttons on a lot of devices.

I got bit by all 3 of those (but my power button wasn't quite dead yet) before I got bit by the bug that our flash chip has. I was trying to use my phone as a USB drive and copied a ton of stuff over, the progress bar stopped moving and the phone didn't seem to be running right, so I rebooted. Somehow it bricked and now the charging light wouldn't even come on. Started from the unbrick tricks, but I was way worse off than what they are for and near as I could tell something had disappeared really early on in the bootchain process and it was unfixable without direct access to the eMMC to rewrite the whole image.

Later found out once I got a pantech burst (which has very similar hardware) to replace my amaze that the MMC chip we have can get confused and randomly swaps blocks of storage around. It's easiest to trigger if you have lots of writes pending and the operating system tries to deallocate a block (like trim on a SSD); sometimes the chip will de-allocate the wrong block. Mine happened to garble something really close to the beginning resulting in my brick.

Much later I got a broken phone off ebay to rip apart to see if I could get the many gigs of data I MOVED to my phone immediately before it died only to find it just had a dead battery...maybe. It was well used, but didn't look physically damaged. It turned on but the screen was just static, like an analog tv with no channel. Couldn't get it working, but on other phones it looks like this is what happens when the chip in the LCD dies.

Combined the two broken phones to make a working one and find that this board has something going on where the battery drains when the phone is shut off, thus explaining why the battery that came with it was completely toast. Maybe I screwed up the rebuild, but I don't know how.

tl;dr: Yes, I have had some hardware problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to ezdi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gr1771n
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Location: Around Birmingham somewhere, not getting specific so weirdos don't stalk me
Yeah I had that power button issue ( the problem is it splits apart and gets corrosion in it and its awfully wobbly) I had had that problem with my galaxy Nexus's volume rocker too (I had it for development) , i split it open and scraped off the corrosion and closed it back up it didn't come apart after that either it was fine. I also had the reboots , random extreme power drain from 100% - 30% - then dead in minutes ( it was a rare occurrence though), the LCD short, bad charger connection, and like 1/2 inch of the touch sensor didn't work( it was just at the tip of the twrp slider too so I had to use clockwork). You know its ironic looking back before I got it I was looking at reviews and they all said it had that "unmatched build quality" and it ended up being one of the most hardware plagued phones of its time, quality was a key factor when I chose it, though I did slightly overuse it, i think it shouldn't have been so badly designed, I only had mine for just over 1 year of my 2 year contract and I didn't even get it from the contract, I broke my T-Mobile g2x after 6 months with it and got the amaze through insurance [which was BS since i paid monthly for it, had to send my broken phone to them (which I could have fixed for less), and pay the difference between its price and the price of the amaze. I ended up paying full price for the amaze and the monthly insurance bill, I would have been better off not getting the insurance because it limited me to only getting the amaze and the sensation "phones of equal or lessee value" ($250 more than the g2x), they screwed me over]. Even though its in pieces and will most likely never work again I will probably hold onto it forever because it was a great phone, even if it let me down a few times. I learned around 90% of everything I know about android developing and software developing in general from that phone and its really sentimental to me. Lolz all my broken and worthless stuff is sentimental to me, I think I'm may be a little bit of a hoarder but oh well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Gr1771n
Old
(Last edited by Gr1771n; 18th December 2013 at 06:12 PM.) Reason: I done messed up the photo attachments! my bad
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Uuhh this post was a mistake... My bad, I done messed up

Gr1771n
Old
(Last edited by Gr1771n; 18th December 2013 at 06:04 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Here are pictures from after I tore it apart to get it working and it booting up after it was dismembered (after it booted it was fine, It would pick up touch from the messed up side but at the same time it went crazy and picked up "touches" everywhere, even when I wasn't touching it so everything almost worked but then died again) sorry the last one blurred I was riding in a car

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387389503930.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	2462007   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387389524500.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	2462008   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387389538520.jpg