[Q] Nexus 7 "Booting Failed"

Tip us?

bmoney83
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 7 "Booting Failed"

Hey Guys,
So I was trying to downgrade to 4.3 on my Nexus 7, and I was dumb enough to disconnect it before it was complete. I believe it was in the process of deleting user data. Now I have a screen that says "booting failed" on the left, the google logo in the middle, an unlock symbol on the bottom, and a start banner on the top left, but every time I try to hit start, it just stays on the same screen saying booting failed. Same results when I try to boot into recovery. Is there any hope?

bftb0
Old
(Last edited by bftb0; 18th December 2013 at 08:40 AM.) Reason: spelling
Thanks Meter 775
You should investigate whether or not you can communicate with it using fastboot. You might need to get it to the bootloader screen (rather than the "failed boot" screen). [REF] Nexus 7 Button Combinations

If you can, then there is all sorts of hope (from what you describe, it sounds like the bootloader is unlocked). All you need to do is do a little reading about fastboot - for instance in the "return to stock" thread here on XDA.

fastboot is the gateway to all things root with the N7.
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

bmoney83
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default There might be hope

I can get to fastboot. The hang comes when I run the fastboot erase userdata. It just gets stuck there.

mandiax2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney83 View Post
I can get to fastboot. The hang comes when I run the fastboot erase userdata. It just gets stuck there.
I've done exactly the same thing. Any update please?

Thank you

bftb0
Old
(Last edited by bftb0; 18th December 2013 at 06:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney83 View Post
Stuck as in no messages, no output, prompt never returns?

Have you tried soft-booting a recovery to see what happens? e.g.

e.g. TWRP
Code:
fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.4.1.0-grouper.img
e.g. CWM
Code:
fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img

-OR- (non-touch version)
fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-6.0.2.3-grouper.img
(The above are just examples, I'm not recommending a particular version of either custom recovery)

That might be a start. By communicating with a soft-booted recovery (adb shell blah-blah-blah), you can look at the kernel log (e.g. "adb shell dmesg") and see if it is complaining about partitions, filesystems, etc. The only rub with this is that because of the N7's use of an "internal" pseudo-SD card, the custom recoveries try and mount the userdata partition as soon as they start up, so if there is something wrong with that filesystem, the recovery itself might get wedged. I think I saw this with TWRP for instance - the touch interface wouldn't come up when I had a effed-up userdata partition. So, either an older recovery or a non-touch interface recovery might be adviseable here if you have troubles.

good luck
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

bmoney83
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Solved!

Alright, two things helped me out here.
1. I used a different computer and reinstalled everything.
2. When you unzip the stock rom, it still leaves one zipped file in there that also needs to be unzipped into the platform-tools folder.

And now I'm in business!