5,599,478 Members 38,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why does cm10.2 torch require such permissions?

Tip us?

Rudjgaard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 484
Default [Q] Why does cm10.2 torch require such permissions?

A few days ago, tired with unsatisfactory battery life, I decided to take a good look at what the phone was doing while "asleep".
One of the things I did was to install Network Log to have a complete picture of networking activity.
What I discovered, with considerable surprise, is that the stock cm torch app was sending and receving packages continuosuly to/from two google ip's.
The amount of traffic isn't what worries me, meaning that from the logs it's not a high activity app, but just the fact that it does have such activity makes me wonder about the purpose.
So i "untrusted" torch and noticed that it has a full set of permissions ranging from call listening to networking aamof.
My question thus is "why does this app require such permissions"?
I blocked networking for torch and it seems to work without any problems so...what's the deal?
Xperia Active ST17i
Rom: ParanoidAndroid
Kernel: LupusJB

LG Optimus 4X HD
Rom: PACman
Kernel: MoKee

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5440
Can't give you the answer you want, but Torch is a system app, and system apps usually have crazy permissions. That doesn't mean the torch app is sending or receiving anything you should worry about, but i understand that it's weird. The only things you can do is to either deny its permissions or delete it and download a 3rd party flashlight app from the Play Store (without persmissions).

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.

The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rudjgaard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 484
Thank you for your reply.
I know system apps have crazy permissions, but they usually make sense..this one doesn't really
Removing permissions with lbe didn't work as it is still logging..app ops doesn't show a networking permission..
Maybe blacklisting this particular google ip through iptables?
I know it isn't a major security issue, but unmonitored network activity really bumms me out...
Xperia Active ST17i
Rom: ParanoidAndroid
Kernel: LupusJB

LG Optimus 4X HD
Rom: PACman
Kernel: MoKee

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5440
Blacklisting the IP might have some consequences for other system apps? I don't really know. Wouldn't it be easier to just remove it and install a third party flashlight app? Or maybe you could email or send the CM team a PM on Twitter, asking about the permissions and the data traffic?

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.