5,596,128 Members 33,435 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CM 11

Tip us?
 
Paradelle
Old
#1  
Paradelle's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Posts: 104
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Scotland
Default CM 11

Official nightlies have started for the T on CM 11. I had a quick play last night. It seemed okay, though I did notice the odd blue flickering. One thing I did notice is that the install package is around 30mb smaller than OmniRom. I didn't have time to give it a full test, so went back to OmniRom. I'd be interested to know what you guys think of it.
HTC HD7 --> Sensation --> XE --> Xperia T --> Nexus 5 --> Xperia Z1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paradelle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
davidtkf88
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 50
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sibu
using 20131213 nightlies, so far so good, haven't encounter any blue screen and the rom is stable for use. ART still have many problem, and battery life is better than JB..
The Following User Says Thank You to davidtkf88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
izul
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bandung
Using FXP250 CM11, so far so good
 
Paradelle
Old
#4  
Paradelle's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Posts: 104
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Scotland
I've been using official CM11 for the past 24 hours just to see what the most recent builds were like (the early builds werehugely unstable.) My impressions are that it's faster and smoother than OmniRom 4.4. I don't think it's placebo either. As far as I can gather, the official OmniRom builds are using older branches as the newer ones are breaking Nexus devices. I assume CM11 is using newer branches as the speed difference is very noticible. It's really nice to use. Also, it seems to have more features than Omni, though this may simply be that I've been using OmniRom for so long that CM's unique features are instantly noticible.

I haven't had any flickering so haven't had to disable HW. There's blue screens, but as most of us are aware, this isn't a rom issue but a kernel one and will hopefully be sorted when 4.3 is released.

There are bugs though. I can't get GPS or location to work. Everything is switched on but my location cannot be found. For me it's not a big one, and it may be device specific, but it is worth considering. Also, the battery is...well... inconsistent. Last night between midnight and 4am my battery dropped 40% while my phone was supposed to be asleep. I charged it again this morning and while it isn't as good as OmniRom, I'm currently on 77% after 4 hours. So yes. Battery inconsistent. Also, I had problems syncing with Google. Wouldn't let me when I installed the ROM, woke this morning to find it synced. A bit weird.

What else... I haven't had to flash superuser. Which is good. I also don't think that I'll have to reflash Gapps on each update. I'll find out tonight.

To summarise, it's a very fast ROM with a few bugs. I'll be interested to see what OmniRom is like on the new branches.
HTC HD7 --> Sensation --> XE --> Xperia T --> Nexus 5 --> Xperia Z1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paradelle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
thedisturbedone
Old
#5  
thedisturbedone's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 219
Posts: 755
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradelle View Post
I've been using official CM11 for the past 24 hours just to see what the most recent builds were like (the early builds werehugely unstable.) My impressions are that it's faster and smoother than OmniRom 4.4. I don't think it's placebo either. As far as I can gather, the official OmniRom builds are using older branches as the newer ones are breaking Nexus devices. I assume CM11 is using newer branches as the speed difference is very noticible. It's really nice to use. Also, it seems to have more features than Omni, though this may simply be that I've been using OmniRom for so long that CM's unique features are instantly noticible.

I haven't had any flickering so haven't had to disable HW. There's blue screens, but as most of us are aware, this isn't a rom issue but a kernel one and will hopefully be sorted when 4.3 is released.

There are bugs though. I can't get GPS or location to work. Everything is switched on but my location cannot be found. For me it's not a big one, and it may be device specific, but it is worth considering. Also, the battery is...well... inconsistent. Last night between midnight and 4am my battery dropped 40% while my phone was supposed to be asleep. I charged it again this morning and while it isn't as good as OmniRom, I'm currently on 77% after 4 hours. So yes. Battery inconsistent. Also, I had problems syncing with Google. Wouldn't let me when I installed the ROM, woke this morning to find it synced. A bit weird.

What else... I haven't had to flash superuser. Which is good. I also don't think that I'll have to reflash Gapps on each update. I'll find out tonight.

To summarise, it's a very fast ROM with a few bugs. I'll be interested to see what OmniRom is like on the new branches.
Great review. If you could let the battery settle down for a day or two and compare it to that of Omni it would be great! I am currently on Omni but cannot waste any bandwidth to dl cm unless it's worth it. So report back if possible.
Samsung Galaxy Ace | Sony Xperia T
The Following User Says Thank You to thedisturbedone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Paradelle
Old
#6  
Paradelle's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Posts: 104
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedisturbedone View Post
Great review. If you could let the battery settle down for a day or two and compare it to that of Omni it would be great! I am currently on Omni but cannot waste any bandwidth to dl cm unless it's worth it. So report back if possible.
I've been using it for 48 hours now. Omni's battery is better but by how much is difficult to say. I'd say I was a light user. Bit of web browsing here, an odd text there. I listen to a couple of hours worth of music on my way to and from work each day. I very rarely watch videos or play games. Each night I have to charge my phone, but I had to do this with Omni too. Right now for me the performance difference between the two ROMs is worth the poorer battery time. I know that battery is important for a lot of people, but as long as it gets me through the day then I'm good.

When I flashed last night's update via the phone's CyanogenMod update, I kept Gapps but seemed to lose CM's superuser status.

To be honest, OmniRom is excellent (it's the longest I've stayed with a single ROM since I first unlocked my phone), and when it reverts back to the newer branches then I'll go back to it.
HTC HD7 --> Sensation --> XE --> Xperia T --> Nexus 5 --> Xperia Z1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paradelle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
thedisturbedone
Old
#7  
thedisturbedone's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 219
Posts: 755
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradelle View Post
I've been using it for 48 hours now. Omni's battery is better but by how much is difficult to say. I'd say I was a light user. Bit of web browsing here, an odd text there. I listen to a couple of hours worth of music on my way to and from work each day. I very rarely watch videos or play games. Each night I have to charge my phone, but I had to do this with Omni too. Right now for me the performance difference between the two ROMs is worth the poorer battery time. I know that battery is important for a lot of people, but as long as it gets me through the day then I'm good.

When I flashed last night's update via the phone's CyanogenMod update, I kept Gapps but seemed to lose CM's superuser status.

To be honest, OmniRom is excellent (it's the longest I've stayed with a single ROM since I first unlocked my phone), and when it reverts back to the newer branches then I'll go back to it.
Thank you! And I can agree on the last point. I kept coming back to Omni as if it was a stock rom.
Samsung Galaxy Ace | Sony Xperia T
 
jimilegolas
Old
(Last edited by jimilegolas; 23rd December 2013 at 06:16 PM.)
#8  
jimilegolas's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 146
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradelle View Post
I've been using it for 48 hours now. Omni's battery is better but by how much is difficult to say. I'd say I was a light user. Bit of web browsing here, an odd text there. I listen to a couple of hours worth of music on my way to and from work each day. I very rarely watch videos or play games. Each night I have to charge my phone, but I had to do this with Omni too. Right now for me the performance difference between the two ROMs is worth the poorer battery time. I know that battery is important for a lot of people, but as long as it gets me through the day then I'm good.

When I flashed last night's update via the phone's CyanogenMod update, I kept Gapps but seemed to lose CM's superuser status.

To be honest, OmniRom is excellent (it's the longest I've stayed with a single ROM since I first unlocked my phone), and when it reverts back to the newer branches then I'll go back to it.
What about Google sync?
Were you able to sync your contacts?
 
moliverac8
Old
#9  
moliverac8's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 45
Posts: 492
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Madrid

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimilegolas View Post
What about Google sync?
Where you able to sync your contacts?
I did that in the last nightly, no problems.

Enviado desde mi Xperia T mediante Tapatalk
Follow me on twitter if I helped you @moliverac8
You can ask me questions by twitter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moliverac8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes