5,593,876 Members 47,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stock Android + S-pen ROM for Gnote 3?

Tip us?

Defenestratus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Sign [Q] Stock Android + S-pen ROM for Gnote 3?

I may be way out of line here and if so I apologize - however coming from the Galaxy Nexus to the Galaxy Note 3 I'm mostly pretty happy except with certain aspects of Samsungs software stupidity that I can't seem to get rid of. I've been using the GEL and its amazing but I want to get back to "stock android" as much as possible. This means getting rid of the assnine Gingerbread-era settings menus, dialers, people app and other apps that look like they were plucked from my Droid X from 3 years ago.

Am I being unreasonable when I look at the available ROM's on the T-mo section and see that there aren't any kitkat ROMs available yet? Is there a development hurdle for the Galaxy devices that makes it impossible to make a AOSP-based ROM? (As if it needs to be said, I'm not a developer).

I love the hardware and the S-pen functionality (why I bought it), but I need to rid myself of the 90's era UI that samsung has foisted on us. Am I missing a ROM out there that can fulfill my needs?

Medic1013
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I don't think there is anything aosp that can offer what tw had to offer when it comes to s pen functionality.

I had the note 2 before this and was running paranoid ROM which didn't have the cool s pen features.

What I've used the most is the pen window feature. Taking a quick note or using the calc has been handy.

Grande Note 3

devynbf
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
I may be way out of line here and if so I apologize - however coming from the Galaxy Nexus to the Galaxy Note 3 I'm mostly pretty happy except with certain aspects of Samsungs software stupidity that I can't seem to get rid of. I've been using the GEL and its amazing but I want to get back to "stock android" as much as possible. This means getting rid of the assnine Gingerbread-era settings menus, dialers, people app and other apps that look like they were plucked from my Droid X from 3 years ago.

Am I being unreasonable when I look at the available ROM's on the T-mo section and see that there aren't any kitkat ROMs available yet? Is there a development hurdle for the Galaxy devices that makes it impossible to make a AOSP-based ROM? (As if it needs to be said, I'm not a developer).

I love the hardware and the S-pen functionality (why I bought it), but I need to rid myself of the 90's era UI that samsung has foisted on us. Am I missing a ROM out there that can fulfill my needs?
We all feel your pain brother.

I have owned 3 Samsung Galaxy devices before this one and all have had AOSP/AOKP/CM10.2

For some reason or another, a developer not made a bare bone AOSP rom.
Which we all want.

Believe me when I say, we all know touchwiz is getting annoying.

My current setup is Stock Deodexed Debloated with the AOSP theme found in the "Themes and Apps" section, also with the Kit Kat Launcher.
I downloaded all of the Nexus 5 apps (Calendar, Camera, Gallery, Clock, etc. And deleted the Touchwiz ones.

This is as close as we can get for now .

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app