5,599,135 Members 34,725 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [CM10.2.0-d2att] Assert Fail (ro.bootloader), unable to update bootloader

Tip us?

Vergeh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] [CM10.2.0-d2att] Assert Fail (ro.bootloader), unable to update bootloader

I own a Galaxy S3 (Fido, a Rogers subsidiary), and recently updated to the klunky bloated nightmare that is the 4.3 update; thus my motivation to switch to Cyanogenmod. I have successfully rooted the device using chainfire's auto-root (CF-Auto-Root-d2can-d2vl-sghi747m). In addition I am using the latest clockworkmod (6.0.4.3)

I downloaded the CM 10.2 stable release (link: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/....2.0-d2att.zip) and the gapps package, and pushed them to /sdcard/. However, when I try to install the CM package, I get an assert error at ro.bootloader. When I tried restoring using a NANDroid backup, my phone constantly popped up that " Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped". So frequently that it was next to impossible to do anything on the phone. I tried resetting all apps in the application manager to no avail. Fortunately I backed up most of my important apps using Titanium so I'm not completely screwed after a factory reset.

My ro.bootloader is I747MVLUEMK5. After some searching, I tried flashing the bootloader to the one provided here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=13716, but I was unable to do so (got SW REV CHECK FAIL : Fused 1 > Binary 0). Bupkis.

I'd really like to get CM on my device, and any help would be appreciated. Failing that, is there a way to fix the gapps errors cropping up when I use my NANDroid backup?

Thanks in advance.

bellifritz
Old
(Last edited by bellifritz; 18th December 2013 at 02:52 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
I don't know what the problem is with cm10.2 but I had the same problem restoring a 4.3 nandroid. I had to reboot into recovery and wipe data, cache and dalvik. Reboot and set everything up fresh. That's the only way I could get the nandroid to get me back to 4.3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to bellifritz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vergeh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Glad to know it's not just me!

I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have to actually replace the bootloader, and not just unlock it. But most of the bootloader downloads I've searched for provide links to ICS bootloaders, and something tells me it's not a simple thing to roll back.

Vergeh
Old
(Last edited by Vergeh; 18th December 2013 at 04:23 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55060/

Forgive the double post, but it looks like it's a known problem with CM that they've fixed in 11.0. I guess I need to wait for them to backport it or until 11.0 gets a stable release.

I'd still like to know how to fix my NANDroid backup, though.

Edit: Looks like they've fixed it and it'll be in the next stable build! review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55061/

Cooro
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergeh View Post
review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55060/

Forgive the double post, but it looks like it's a known problem with CM that they've fixed in 11.0. I guess I need to wait for them to backport it or until 11.0 gets a stable release.

I'd still like to know how to fix my NANDroid backup, though.

Edit: Looks like they've fixed it and it'll be in the next stable build! review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55061/
I had this problem as well but I managed to do some digging and fix the problem. The problem was that the developers forgot to add I747MVLUEMK5 as a bootloader in the "updater-script". The updater script is responsible to make sure you don't flash the wrong rom with the wrong samsung model. Since i747mvluemk5 was not added, the phone failed the inspection. To solve this, add the bootloader "I747MVLUEMK5" into the d2att cyanogenmod zip file. Basically, this is what you do:

1) Download the d2att stable 10.2 cyanogenmod
2) unzip the d2att stable 10.2 cyanogenmod
3)And then open META-INF>com>google>android>updater-script
4)Once you found updater-script, open it with notepad
5)Then you must add this bootloader script since it is missing: || getprop("ro.bootloader") == "I747MVLUEMK5"
6)Obviously, don't just copy exactly like mine, but make sure I747MVLUEMK5 is there. Not sure, but i think you can delete one of the bootloaders such as I747MUMBLL1 and replace it with I747MVLUEMK5 instead.
7)after you made your change of the updater-script, rezip the files and flash it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cooro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vergeh
Old
(Last edited by Vergeh; 24th December 2013 at 03:58 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooro View Post
I had this problem as well but I managed to do some digging and fix the problem. The problem was that the developers forgot to add I747MVLUEMK5 as a bootloader in the "updater-script". The updater script is responsible to make sure you don't flash the wrong rom with the wrong samsung model. Since i747mvluemk5 was not added, the phone failed the inspection. To solve this, add the bootloader "I747MVLUEMK5" into the d2att cyanogenmod zip file. Basically, this is what you do:

1) Download the d2att stable 10.2 cyanogenmod
2) unzip the d2att stable 10.2 cyanogenmod
3)And then open META-INF>com>google>android>updater-script
4)Once you found updater-script, open it with notepad
5)Then you must add this bootloader script since it is missing: || getprop("ro.bootloader") == "I747MVLUEMK5"
6)Obviously, don't just copy exactly like mine, but make sure I747MVLUEMK5 is there. Not sure, but i think you can delete one of the bootloaders such as I747MUMBLL1 and replace it with I747MVLUEMK5 instead.
7)after you made your change of the updater-script, rezip the files and flash it.
Worked like a charm; had no idea that it'd be so simple to fix! You, sir, are awesome.

Edit: One week later and I've had zero problems. If anything, CM 10.2 is more stable than the Samsung 4.3 release.