EMEI is 00000000 after upgrade to 4.3, what is my next step

Tip us?

xT@sTy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default EMEI is 00000000 after upgrade to 4.3, what is my next step

Hi there,

I have searched high & low on the interwebs for a possible solution to my problem but have yet to yield any significant results.

I was on 4.2.2 Stock, Rooted, with bulletproof, and I had started to get random reboots and then 4 nights ago during the night it decided to get into a reboot loop. It would power up for about 20 mins and then restart again & again so when I woke up it was super hot.

So I thought it was time to update it to 4.3 now in the hope that this would resolve the issue but it didn't. I obtained the relevant RUU (Guru Reset M7 2.24.980.2 for HTC__039) from htc1guru and since I was only wanting to get the OTA in the hope that this would fix any other software issues, I only flashed the recovery. I then proceeded to do the large OTA update. This was successful. Then the reboots started again.

Time for a factory reset now, (which I realise I should have just done in the first place) but after setting up my details in the phone I am unable to get network over 3G/4G and when I go into look at the APNs, it says that no sim card is installed when it definitely is. When I go into Phone Info, it states that my EMEI is 00000000.

After looking around for what feels like hours, I read somewhere that I might need to flash the radio but I only have the radio from the previous RUU(Guru Reset M7 2.24.980.2) or can I use that since I can not find anything around RUUs for 3.63.980.2.? I don't want to make the situation any worse than it already is.

I am hoping that there is a simple explanation and fix & any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

fenstre
Old
Thanks Meter 432
So you think the problem is that your software is upgraded and not your firmware? If so, you can solve that by dowgrading your software. If you can't find an updated RUU (nothing except a signed file from HTC should be called a RUU), there is still a solution:

- Find a system dump from a phone that is your CID and the version of Android you want. It will be a CWM or TWRP backup.
- Flash the appropriate custom recovery.
- Push the files to your phone in the appropriate directory (you may need to make a backup just to see what the right directory is).
- Restore the backup you just pushed to your phone.

Then factory reset and install the stock recovery. You may need to re-lock the bootloader (I'm not sure). Try to get the correct OTA. If you can't find it, try to download one and save as /sdcard/update.zip. Use the stock recovery to flash it. (You'll need to search for instructions on how to do that. It involves key combinations.) Finally, unlock the bootloader, make a backup, and (optionally) root. Don't install a custom kernel. If your problem persists, you likely have a hardware problem.
If I helped, click Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to fenstre For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xT@sTy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your reply.

I have no idea if its software/firmware but its showing its on 4.3. I was speculating on the radio possibly needing to be reflashed due to one comment I read on a forum I randomly came across?

So I could use my very first backup I used through TWRP and push that to the phone?

While I am fairly new to Android(had to switch for the HTC ONE), I have been around idevices for a long time and have learnt to always keep multiple backups just in case :P
I left the bootloader unlocked as most guides say that you don't need to have it locked to get the OTA. I actually tried to find the manual OTA file and do it the way you suggested but at the time I had no luck.

I'll see what I can accomplish tonight.

xT@sTy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Apologies on the noobness in regards to RUU.

Is it possible to use a RUU for lets say T-Mobile on an international variant? I see HTC released an RUU for T-Mobile for 4.3 but as far as I can see there isn't any others.

fenstre
Old
Thanks Meter 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by xT@sTy View Post
So I could use my very first backup I used through TWRP and push that to the phone?
That's the first thing I'd try, yes. But I'm guessing just as much as you are.
The Following User Says Thank You to fenstre For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xT@sTy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstre View Post
That's the first thing I'd try, yes. But I'm guessing just as much as you are.
Hahahaha Well I trust your guess way more then mine :P

Would I need s-off to copy the previous backup back onto the phone or would I only need s-off if I had to push something to system(which I do not need to do)?

I tried last night to run rumrunner and it continually failed and basically told me I had 2 different scenarios to resolve it(the following is coming from memory and its very hazy). One was to use a different kernel and the other was to use another ROM, but that wasn't the preferred option.

At work now so will try and restore my original backup tonight at home. Thanks for your help.

fenstre
Old
Thanks Meter 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by xT@sTy View Post
Would I need s-off to copy the previous backup back onto the phone or would I only need s-off if I had to push something to system(which I do not need to do)? .
Sorry for my late response. You only need s-off to flash firmware that is older, for a different phone CID, or modified by a third party. Or to change other hidden partitions, like to modify the "TAMPERED" flag or to change the CID. Unlocking the bootloader is for changing partitions from fastboot mode: recovery, and maybe also system and boot. You do not need an unlocked bootloader to change these partitions from recovery if you already have a custom recovery installed. (You can definitely modify system and boot, but I'm not sure about modifying recovery with a locked bootloader.)

xT@sTy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstre View Post
Sorry for my late response. You only need s-off to flash firmware that is older, for a different phone CID, or modified by a third party. Or to change other hidden partitions, like to modify the "TAMPERED" flag or to change the CID. Unlocking the bootloader is for changing partitions from fastboot mode: recovery, and maybe also system and boot. You do not need an unlocked bootloader to change these partitions from recovery if you already have a custom recovery installed. (You can definitely modify system and boot, but I'm not sure about modifying recovery with a locked bootloader.)
No need to apologise, I'm just happy that someone has been able to assist me.

I have used one of my previous TWRP backups, unfortunately I couldn't use my very very first one as it was missing some files, it obviously didn't copy it all across for some reason

I now have my EMEI back (woohoo) but I think the backup I used has something wrong in the kernel as I think it has bulletproof installed. I am going to return it to stock but following a procedure here as I need to return it to HTC as the phone will not read any sim cards. I have tried 3 different sim cards and have also tested them in a firends HTC ONE and they all work in his. SO it looks like I do have an actual hardware issue with the phone which isn't cool just before Xmas.

I already have major withdrawals from being able to play ingress

Thanks heaps for your help.