5,605,311 Members 38,769 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dirty flash

Tip us?

MrCatalyst
Old
(Last edited by MrCatalyst; 18th December 2013 at 05:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Default [Q] Dirty flash

Would there be any harm if I dirty flashed albinoman's 4.3.1 ROM over his 4.2.2 ROM? I don't wanna lose all the data but do an upgrade, or would it not work? I'm aware that dirty flashing does cause issues sometimes, but not always. Seems to work fine, so far.

Also, say android1-7 fixes current bugs in his 4.4.1 ROM and I want to switch - is there any way to transfer my data? Titanium Backup comes to mind, but not sure if that'd cause problems; JB -> KitKat.

Thanks in advance.
DEVICE: Nexus 5
CURRENT ROM: crDroid - Build 22
CURRENT KERNEL: Chaos Kernel v11.0 Stable
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.0.0

blogodoblogodo
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Please Backup before doing anything.

If u want tro try a dirty flash, u got to Wipe system and cache, then flash ROM... Maybe it will cause FC...

you will tell us .

Its better to try backing up ROM on recovery, then backing up datas with Titanium Backup, Wipe All partitions then Flash new ROm and u will install back your datas from titanium

MrCatalyst
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
I always do backups. I'm on specific app data if I wanted to go from JB to KK, would it still work via Titanium Backup? (some will know; if they are on 4.4.x ROM already)

Also, how do I change the dimensions of the drawer? It's 4x5 right now, and I'd want it preferably 4x4 instead, or even 3x4. I can't find it in the Drawer settings. (albino's 4.3.1 ROM).

Harbir
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2576
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCatalyst View Post
I always do backups. I'm on specific app data if I wanted to go from JB to KK, would it still work via Titanium Backup? (some will know; if they are on 4.4.x ROM already)

Also, how do I change the dimensions of the drawer? It's 4x5 right now, and I'd want it preferably 4x4 instead, or even 3x4. I can't find it in the Drawer settings. (albino's 4.3.1 ROM).
Yes titanium backup will work in any Roms u have I use it all the time to flash back my apps back easily

And for the app drawer I haven't used albino ROM ,but think u need a custom launcher like KitKat launcher ,nova etc to get that option

Sent from my HTCSensation using Tapatalk

~~> Hit If I have helped you & even if i don't
My Work: [GUIDE][JB/ICS]Step by Step Guide for ViperS Roms || [MOD] TURBO BOOST MOD v3.03 || [MODS] ViperS 5.0.0 | JB | Sense 5 || [MODS] ViperC2 5.0.0 | JB | Sense 5
Device Details

Device: HTC Sensation Z710e (STOLEN)
ROM: ViperS 5.0.0
Kernel: SebastianFM v1.0.3

MrCatalyst
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Yes titanium backup will work in any Roms u have I use it all the time to flash back my apps back easily

And for the app drawer I haven't used albino ROM ,but think u need a custom launcher like KitKat launcher ,nova etc to get that option

Sent from my HTCSensation using Tapatalk
Awww, snap. Quite a pity - I liked Sense ROM having two options for the app drawer. I'll get used to it then.

So Titanium works with any ROM, great. That solves it then! Thanks for the help.