5,600,664 Members 37,355 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bad Battery?

Tip us?

PyroKirby
Old
(Last edited by PyroKirby; 19th December 2013 at 08:46 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Bad Battery?

Is there a way I can officially know if I have a bad battery on my LGG2? When I had purchased the phone, I never really took interest in it because of it's battery life, but after hearing that it has a great battery life I thought mine was lacking. I hear people having it go for two days without a charge. Yet mine was being charged once a day or more at least. I had batterydoctor installed, and when I had it, it would say I got about 22 hours or so normally. Then 17 or so.

I took the phone to the AT&T service center to get a replacement as I felt as if the battery was bad. Yet after getting the new one, I feel as if I'm having the same problem or even worse.

I'm still getting below 20 hours, and the battery seems to die faster than expected. I do not do a lot on my phone as it is. I had previously only had BatteryDoctor control the CPU, but I purchased SetCPU to get a bit better control on my CPU. I read push notifications was more efficient than 15 minute intervals, so I set those on my email apps. I don't have a lot of widgets, or even more than two. My screen brightness is usually below half.

Am I just plagued with a bad battery, or am I doing somethings wrong here? Anymore I can do?

Along the lines of this, is there a list of what bloatware apps I can uninstall from the LGG2? I had uninstalled a lot, but I'm not really sure what is still safe or unsafe to uninstall.

The built in battery manager as of now expects my battery to last around 6-8 hours, while battery doctor says 15 hours.

Vepaot
Old
Thanks Meter 44
You can't uninstall anything that your system needs unless you're rooted and using an application manager to uninstall, such as Titanium Backup. If you're removing apps from the stock app page, you'll be fine to remove anything that is removable.

I'm sure your battery is fine, but you didn't give us any hard proof of what's going on. Go into your Settings and check the Battery section after the phone is down to about 50% or so. My guess is, that Google Services will be the main battery culprit, with Screen somewhere behind it.

If Google Services is what's chewing through your battery, you're not alone. The easiest way to fix the issue right now is to disable Google's Location Services.

If that's not what's causing your problem, please report back here with more info and we'll try to get you sorted out.

Sent from CAMACHO, my Verizon G2 (VS980) running PAC ROM 4.3.

The Aphotic Chaotic
LG G2 VS980 (Verizon) [JB 4.3] PAC-man ROM
Nexus 7 [JB 4.2.2] XenonHD

PyroKirby
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepaot View Post
You can't uninstall anything that your system needs unless you're rooted and using an application manager to uninstall, such as Titanium Backup. If you're removing apps from the stock app page, you'll be fine to remove anything that is removable.

I'm sure your battery is fine, but you didn't give us any hard proof of what's going on. Go into your Settings and check the Battery section after the phone is down to about 50% or so. My guess is, that Google Services will be the main battery culprit, with Screen somewhere behind it.

If Google Services is what's chewing through your battery, you're not alone. The easiest way to fix the issue right now is to disable Google's Location Services.

If that's not what's causing your problem, please report back here with more info and we'll try to get you sorted out.

I am aware I can't uninstall anything my system needs, but I am not aware of what my system needs and does not need. I know of the obvious bloatware applications, so I uninstalled those. As for other things, I am not sure of. I would like to get rid of any unneeded apps that I will not use or have no use for as much as possible. And my device is rooted. And I do use Titanium Backup.

Sorry about that, I'm not good at explaining things most of the time. I'm not really sure as of what proof is needed. Though I have checked before. Google Services seems to come up often. Android System is the second I usually see as well. Screen usually comes into third or lower. I will disable the Location Services and see how things work out.

Thanks for the help so far. If there is any other info that is needed, I will try my best to provide such things.

Vepaot
Old
Thanks Meter 44
As far as debloating goes, I recommend installing a modified stock ROM, such as Malladus. That way you don't have to compile a list of things that can or can't be removed.

If my previous fix doesn't work, try downloading an app such as Better Battery Stats ($2.89) or Wakelock Detector (free). They will tell what's keeping your phone awake.

And then you can use an app like Greenify to prevent specific pesky apps from waking your phone and causing massive battery drain. You can use Greenify to stop Google apps as well, but it will prevent notifications from all of their apps. For example, instead of disabling Location Services on my phone, I prevented Google Maps and Google Play Services from causing wakelocks. Which worked great to keep my battery running, but it also prevented Google Voice from notifying me of new text messages and the Play Store wouldn't do automatic updates. Still, if you can live without these features, that might be another option for you until Google gets their stuff fixed.

The Aphotic Chaotic
LG G2 VS980 (Verizon) [JB 4.3] PAC-man ROM
Nexus 7 [JB 4.2.2] XenonHD

PyroKirby
Old
(Last edited by PyroKirby; 19th December 2013 at 12:40 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepaot View Post
As far as debloating goes, I recommend installing a modified stock ROM, such as Malladus. That way you don't have to compile a list of things that can or can't be removed.

If my previous fix doesn't work, try downloading an app such as Better Battery Stats ($2.89) or Wakelock Detector (free). They will tell what's keeping your phone awake.

And then you can use an app like Greenify to prevent specific pesky apps from waking your phone and causing massive battery drain. You can use Greenify to stop Google apps as well, but it will prevent notifications from all of their apps. For example, instead of disabling Location Services on my phone, I prevented Google Maps and Google Play Services from causing wakelocks. Which worked great to keep my battery running, but it also prevented Google Voice from notifying me of new text messages and the Play Store wouldn't do automatic updates. Still, if you can live without these features, that might be another option for you until Google gets their stuff fixed.

I will give it some thought on using either a modified or custom ROM. I have not yet tried that with any phone I have had before because I'm afraid that normal phone functions might not work. That and I did not have too much experience in messing with ROMs, but I have now done so on my tablets. Though I might still look for a list just in case.

I will look into these two apps to see how they might work and if they will be any benefit. I have heard of a couple other apps to try and extend the battery life as well.

I might look into Greenify as well. It sounds like it could have its use, but I'm not sure I would really use it as such. I did enjoy using Google Now, but I used it mostly for the weather. I can get any other random weather app and probably be just as fine. I don't think I ever used Location Services for anything else other than Google Now or Maps. Which if I need to use the GPS, I can turn it on once again.

Is using such apps like SetCPU a good idea? Or does that make things worse?