5,605,311 Members 39,096 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moving to SD Card (noob to externals SDs)

Tip us?

coldbeverage
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Moving to SD Card (noob to externals SDs)

Hi,

I've only had Nexus phones and tablets before and have never had external SD card support. I'm on the stock LG G Pad right now (i.e. not the GPE). I tried to move folders to the external SD card using ASTRO, thinking that this would move my synced rdio and google magazine files to the external SD, but the apps don't seem to read the files anymore.

Is there a guide on how to get files to recognize that there's an SD card and an external SD card? Is my best bet to root and use TiBu?

THANKS!

Noob to SD

-MX-
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbeverage View Post
Hi,

I've only had Nexus phones and tablets before and have never had external SD card support. I'm on the stock LG G Pad right now (i.e. not the GPE). I tried to move folders to the external SD card using ASTRO, thinking that this would move my synced rdio and google magazine files to the external SD, but the apps don't seem to read the files anymore.

Is there a guide on how to get files to recognize that there's an SD card and an external SD card? Is my best bet to root and use TiBu?

THANKS!

Noob to SD
There's an app called folder mount which will move folders to the external SD card and link them such that the app will think the folder is in the same location and still work just fine. I've used it on my galaxy s4 without problems, however you do need to be rooted to use it. My problem is I'm on a rooted g pad and can't seem to get it to work. If you do root and it works, please report back, I'm not sure if I have a defective device.

Sent from my AOKP GS4

coldbeverage
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks a ton. I'll probably root after the holidays, since I am scrambling to get things done before then and I want to make sure that I have Google Movies access on my vacation! I'll let you know there when I do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MX- View Post
There's an app called folder mount which will move folders to the external SD card and link them such that the app will think the folder is in the same location and still work just fine. I've used it on my galaxy s4 without problems, however you do need to be rooted to use it. My problem is I'm on a rooted g pad and can't seem to get it to work. If you do root and it works, please report back, I'm not sure if I have a defective device.

Sent from my AOKP GS4

katsika
Old
Thanks Meter 48
With Folder mount you have to pay 2.5euros to unlock its features,GL to SD is free and works but you need root
The Following User Says Thank You to katsika For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lordgeese
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsika View Post
With Folder mount you have to pay 2.5euros to unlock its features,GL to SD is free and works but you need root
I've installed both and I'm rooted now but still can't move or install anything to sd

RiPpeR_dUdE
Old
Thanks Meter 76
I had the same problem; couldn't write, etc although from a PC or installing the same SDCARD in another device worked fine.... called Google Support; no help by the way and after searching/reading for a while determined the problem.

This link explains how to fix... basically Android is not accessing the proper "name" of the external card and you just need to add one line to fix permissions.

http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...rd-fix-254960/
The Following User Says Thank You to RiPpeR_dUdE For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]