5,597,007 Members 48,269 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't go into recovery. May have softbricked.

Tip us?

LCubed22
Old
(Last edited by LCubed22; 4th December 2013 at 07:53 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Can't go into recovery. May have softbricked.

Hi there. I think I soft-bricked my phone. I am running mf3 firmware on my i337 galaxy s4 and i tried to flash Graviton. I was using safestrap and I, like an idiot, didn't use a romslot and did it over my stock. Seemed to work fine until I actually booted the phone. It can't access wifi and therefore wont go past the find wifi screen. I try to enter recovery but it just keeps going to the download screen. After trying every way I could find I still cant either wipe my phone or flash the stock firmware. I have tried kies and odin but nothing works. Can anyone help me out or am I royally screwed?

azuziel
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCubed22 View Post
Hi there. I think I soft-bricked my phone. I am running mf3 firmware on my i337 galaxy s4 and i tried to flash Graviton. I was using safestrap and I, like an idiot, didn't use a romslot and did it over my stock. Seemed to work fine until I actually booted the phone. It can't access wifi and therefore wont go past the find wifi screen. I try to enter recovery but it just keeps going to the download screen. After trying every way I could find I still cant either wipe my phone or flash the stock firmware. I have tried kies and odin but nothing works. Can anyone help me out or am I royally screwed?
as long as the phone can go into download mode, you can use odin to reflash the stock firmware (and factory recovery). Check samsungupdates for your model/region and stock/official firmware. You'd have to re-root after. I did the same thing a while back, lost my recovery and this is the method I used to bring my phone back to life, was just sitting at the samsung logo and had no recovery (but had download mode).
The Following User Says Thank You to azuziel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nerdyblonde
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Does Odin recognize the phone? Also, when you say it won't go past the "find wifi" screen, does that mean it booted to the "Welcome" screen?

LCubed22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyblonde View Post
Does Odin recognize the phone? Also, when you say it won't go past the "find wifi" screen, does that mean it booted to the "Welcome" screen?
Sorry should have edited the first post. I actually fixed my original problem and am now having a different one. I got all the way through nd did a restore of my stock rom. I then tried to flash the graviton one to a different rom-slot in safestrap. So now there is a completely different partition in the storage and the flash didnt work so I'm now completely stuck in download mode. I have tried to flash the tar files in odin and it fails every time. I should have all of the necessary files for mf3.

nerdyblonde
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Sorry should have edited the first post. I actually fixed my original problem and am now having a different one. I got all the way through nd did a restore of my stock rom. I then tried to flash the graviton one to a different rom-slot in safestrap. So now there is a completely different partition in the storage and the flash didnt work so I'm now completely stuck in download mode. I have tried to flash the tar files in odin and it fails every time. I should have all of the necessary files for mf3.
If you have the 16GB Galaxy, try flashing this file in the PIT slot in Odin.. Don't put any other files in the PDA slot, etc. It's worked many times when phone would only boot to download..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fptxnxsqev...-I337_16GB.pit

snoops609
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hey Nerdyblonde, what does this pit file do?
I softbricked my phone when trying to flip from CWM to TWRP. (Thought I could just wipe phone and odin flash on top of CWM... VERY WRONG). Now I can't get into recovery and my phone is telling me to use kies recovery *shudder*. So I tried kies when I couldn't Odin flash to stock rom and still nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyblonde View Post
If you have the 16GB Galaxy, try flashing this file in the PIT slot in Odin.. Don't put any other files in the PDA slot, etc. It's worked many times when phone would only boot to download..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fptxnxsqev...-I337_16GB.pit

nerdyblonde
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoops609 View Post
Hey Nerdyblonde, what does this pit file do?
I softbricked my phone when trying to flip from CWM to TWRP. (Thought I could just wipe phone and odin flash on top of CWM... VERY WRONG). Now I can't get into recovery and my phone is telling me to use kies recovery *shudder*. So I tried kies when I couldn't Odin flash to stock rom and still nothing.
Sorry it took a few days to answer.. The Kies screen was the same thing that happened to me... I have the MF3 version, so I can't install custom recovery, but I couldn't boot into recovery period. I flashed that pit file in the pit box on Odin, it restored my recovery.

Do you have MDL or MF3? If you have MDL, I would be really careful not to flash MF3 unless you want to stick with basically stock until one of the geniuses here figures out how to unlock the bootloader.