XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Broken Microphone?

Tip us?

reggie14
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] Broken Microphone?

All of a sudden my microphone on my Droid Maxx doesn't seem to work. People can't hear me on calls, and things like Google Now don't pick up my voice at all. There was no gradual drop off in quality or volume- it worked fine earlier today, then a couple hours later it didn't work at all.

I noticed I got a Motorola Contextual Services update today. Is there any chance this could be a software bug?

VZW is shipping me out a refurb replacement (which kind of pisses me off, given this one is less than a month old). But, I'd really rather not switch to a new phone if I can get this one working. In the past I've rooted my phone, so I was able to backup my app data using a combination of Titanium Backup, Helium, and manual transfers. I can't do that now- I can only use Helium/adb backup. The problem is, I know some of my apps don't back up properly with the basic adb backup method.

Zorque
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
All of a sudden my microphone on my Droid Maxx doesn't seem to work. People can't hear me on calls, and things like Google Now don't pick up my voice at all. There was no gradual drop off in quality or volume- it worked fine earlier today, then a couple hours later it didn't work at all.

I noticed I got a Motorola Contextual Services update today. Is there any chance this could be a software bug?

VZW is shipping me out a refurb replacement (which kind of pisses me off, given this one is less than a month old). But, I'd really rather not switch to a new phone if I can get this one working. In the past I've rooted my phone, so I was able to backup my app data using a combination of Titanium Backup, Helium, and manual transfers. I can't do that now- I can only use Helium/adb backup. The problem is, I know some of my apps don't back up properly with the basic adb backup method.
This happened to me too. If you're comfortable prying the back off of your phone, take a look at the microphone on the back. In my case a little bit of the surrounding foam had come loose and covered the microphone, I just snipped it off and everything was good as new. If I remember right, when I googled the problem some people said there was a plastic piece on the inside and the adhesive on it had melted, so it had slid over the microphone. Either one could be your problem, and it's a pretty easy fix. Good luck!

reggie14
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorque View Post
This happened to me too. If you're comfortable prying the back off of your phone, take a look at the microphone on the back. In my case a little bit of the surrounding foam had come loose and covered the microphone, I just snipped it off and everything was good as new. If I remember right, when I googled the problem some people said there was a plastic piece on the inside and the adhesive on it had melted, so it had slid over the microphone. Either one could be your problem, and it's a pretty easy fix. Good luck!
Sounds easy enough... but are there any warranty-violating seals that are broken in process? This doesn't give me much confidence in the reliability of the phone, so I definitely don't want to do anything that would void the warranty.