mokkami
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Angry Upgrade SDCard (eMMC)

Someone brave enough to replace the Storage

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366803-m...ro-sd-upgrade/

Sent from my Commodore 16 using NSA's satellite dish
..................pls hit Thanks button if anyone helped you!

ghtop
Old
Thanks Meter 43
eMMC is not an 'SD Card', it's a soldered-on BGA chip. There's no possibility of swapping this out at all.

debaj
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtop View Post
eMMC is not an 'SD Card', it's a soldered-on BGA chip. There's no possibility of swapping this out at all.
But there is some distant possibility, because an all-purpose BGA eMMC chip is rectangular in shape, and this metal cover looks like a general MicroSD card. We'll know better when there will be somebody brave enough to peek under the cover. But I guess the hardest part would be not the replacement, but setting up the necessary partitions and every tidbits the device needs to use the card.
The Following User Says Thank You to debaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rusty!
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1735
FFS, not again.
Google Nexus 5 on Giffgaff UK

akaygee
Old
Thanks Meter 9
making a raw copy of the original could be done with r-drive Image.but i'm still not convinced its a micro-sd card as we know it.

ghtop
Old
(Last edited by ghtop; 19th December 2013 at 02:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaj View Post
But there is some distant possibility, because an all-purpose BGA eMMC chip is rectangular in shape, and this metal cover looks like a general MicroSD card. We'll know better when there will be somebody brave enough to peek under the cover. But I guess the hardest part would be not the replacement, but setting up the necessary partitions and every tidbits the device needs to use the card.
Motorola has already confirmed it's eMMC, so please link us to any commercially available product that somehow has eMMC in MicroSD form factor that doesn't need soldering.

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23431

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
It's possible - it just requires a HUGE amount of skill and a BGA rework station.

The number of times that this has been done by anyone other than an OEM is maybe 2-3 times to my knowledge - and those were all Samsung Superbrick repairs. It's absolutely not feasible for doing an upgrade - only for repair purposes.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

debaj
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Motorola has already confirmed it's eMMC, so please link us to any commercially available product that somehow has eMMC in MicroSD form factor that doesn't need soldering.
As I said, it is just wild imagination until somebody checks what's under the shielding. I certainly will not, I am perfectly happy with my phone as it is.

King p1n
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Its been discussed already.
It cannot be simply upgraded and even If it could be done majority of us lack the tools to do it.