My 4 cases - reviews and thoughts

Tip us?

eddicus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default My 4 cases - reviews and thoughts

Hello friends,

I thought I'd share some thoughts on the four cases I have for my Note 3. They are, from left to right: A Samsung view case which came with my phone, a Wave case by Mob:C, a Neo Hybrid case by Spigen, and a Slim Armor case also by Spigen.

First, the flip/window case. This was free when I bought my phone in Korea. It has a window and finger grooves on the side. I'm fairly certain it's an official Samsung product, but it's not very good. I only used it for about three days before buying a new case, and I noticed the following:
1. The window was already very scrathed and didn't look very good.
2. The case didn't stay shut that well.
3. The finger groove design makes it difficult to put into and remove from the pocket.
4. The build quality isn't very good. The case feels cheap and fragile.
5. It's also not a smart flip case. Would not recommend.

The second case, called the Wave by Mob:c was the first non flip case I found In Korea. I liked the drop protection this case offered, but the enormous rubbery bumpers also added a significant amount of girth to the phone. I also liked the deeply recessed camera cutout, which kept the camera well away from tabletops. The s pen cutout is also very generous, allowing for easy access. Things I dislike about this case are as follows:
1. The wave shape is perhaps intended to make the phone fit the hand better, but in reality it seems to make it worse, possibly because it makes the phone so wide.
2. The wave shape, like the fingergrooves on the flip case, tends to make this case get hung up on pockets when going in or coming out.
3. The bezel around the screen is quite shallow, making it dangerous to set the phone down face down.
This case is alright overall, but I can't really recommend it unless you're in love with the shape.

The third case is the well known Neo Hybrid from Spigen. This case arrived at the same time as the Slim Armor, as I liked both designs but wasn't sure which I'd prefer. This case is very slim and therefore doesn't feel like it would offer much protection. It's also a bit slick in the hand. The only other thing I'm not crazy about with this case is the very low bezel on the screen and the very shallow recess for the camera. It didn't offer the protection I wanted, but I still think it's an attractive design and will work perfectly for those looking for a trim case that still offers a bit of protection.

Lastly, my favorite of the four, the Slim Armor. Things I like about this case include the just deep enough bezel, the just deep enough camera recess, and the rock solid feel in the hand. It honestly feels like a suit of armor for your phone, and while it doesn't appear to offer the maximum protection you'd get from the Otterbox or similar designs, I'd still trust it to save the phone from a realistic drop. Things I don't like about it: it's quite slick in the hand, and the buttons aren't quite as easy to use as they are on the naked phone or with the other cases.
Overall, I'd highly recommend this case. The feeling in the hand is just fantastic, and the case is attractive but still minimalist.

Hope you enjoyed these mini reviews, thanks for reading.

Sent from my SM-N900K using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387445170945.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2463130   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387445183075.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	2463131  

ae14
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I am using the slim armor myself in slate. Absolutely love it. I also tried the neo and wasn't impressed. The outer ring didn't fit properly and the overall feel in the hand wasn't for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

troyd28
Old
Thanks Meter 14
The slim armor in my opinion is hell to put on I have the white and black one

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

UCSB
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd28 View Post
The slim armor in my opinion is hell to put on I have the white and black one

I have the Slim Armor on my N3 right now in white. The fit and finish is at a very high level. The protection seems about right for normal use. It is an impressive case. Very solid and polished. But, I am not sure I am going to be able to continue to use it for two reasons. First, it is slippery. Common sense tells me I am going to drop this case more often and that just does not make sense to me. Second, the power button takes an effort to push and that is annoying because you are always using it. I could probably live with the buttons, but worrying about dropping the phone is a deal breaker for me. My last case was the CruiserLite on my Note 2. I used that case for a year ... very grippy with texture on each side ... dropped it one in a year of use. I've tried the CruiserLite for the Note 3, but it did not fit well and I returned it.

Any suggestions on a grippy case for the Note 3?

troyd28
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post
I have the Slim Armor on my N3 right now in white. The fit and finish is at a very high level. The protection seems about right for normal use. It is an impressive case. Very solid and polished. But, I am not sure I am going to be able to continue to use it for two reasons. First, it is slippery. Common sense tells me I am going to drop this case more often and that just does not make sense to me. Second, the power button takes an effort to push and that is annoying because you are always using it. I could probably live with the buttons, but worrying about dropping the phone is a deal breaker for me. My last case was the CruiserLite on my Note 2. I used that case for a year ... very grippy with texture on each side ... dropped it one in a year of use. I've tried the CruiserLite for the Note 3, but it did not fit well and I returned it.

Any suggestions on a grippy case for the Note 3?
I have about 5 case for my phone right now so far this spigen is the 1 that would slip out hand the most but I haven't broke it yet then I have the knock off griffin case that has protection and has grip and it's kind like the otterbox then I have some cheap 9$ one I won on a ebay bid then I have the blason one which has alot of grip then I have a caseology one but the spigen is semi tough because I dropped it once on tile floor the knockoff griffin is pretty touch I dropped it while biking on pavement and it survived surprisingly because the case was 10$ from Japan