Install an unofficial ROM or just root

Tip us?

cabrerachaparro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Install an unofficial ROM or just root

Hello,

I would like to install sideload apps on Ouya. I was reading the forum and I see that I can either to install an unofficial (I always do that for my Android phone) or to root Ouya and install Google Play Store. I am not sure what to do.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

flamepanther
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrerachaparro View Post
Hello,

I would like to install sideload apps on Ouya. I was reading the forum and I see that I can either to install an unofficial (I always do that for my Android phone) or to root Ouya and install Google Play Store. I am not sure what to do.

What do you suggest?

Thanks
Right now, you're better off just rooting the stock ROM. That may change whenever Stockplus gets updated.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamepanther For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tarvoke
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I'm seriously considering backing up to stockplus. I don't really care about the ouya launcher or store. I am getting pretty sick of some Play apps immediately force-quitting (not sure if stockplus will fix this, but it's sure worth a try)

otherwise my next step is simply going to be CM10...

cabrerachaparro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvoke View Post
I'm seriously considering backing up to stockplus. I don't really care about the ouya launcher or store. I am getting pretty sick of some Play apps immediately force-quitting (not sure if stockplus will fix this, but it's sure worth a try)

otherwise my next step is simply going to be CM10...
You could try go to Settings -> Developer options and check "Don't keep activities".

that worked for me

itzweber
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Rooting the stock FTW. There is even an apk created by an XDA dev that can root the Ouya without a PC. Makes it much easier when they update it and you lose root again
The Following User Says Thank You to itzweber For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tarvoke
Old
Thanks Meter 14
thanks cabrerachaparro - a while ago you or one of the other helpful denizens had mentioned that too. I unchecked that setting some time ago but sadly it doesn't help.

things like google voice or linphone or mx player or latest es file explorer, start and look to be running just fine, but then quit. (and usually the error is related to google framework service). other things like gmail, es task manager, nova launcher, connectbot, terminal, all work fine.

the funny thing is, it's not restricted to applications installed from the play store - e.g. I can install linphone from either f-droid or from the play store, and both f-quit.

I have been too lazy to check things out with catlog (which runs just fine lol)

Ipse_Tase
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvoke View Post
thanks cabrerachaparro - a while ago you or one of the other helpful denizens had mentioned that too. I unchecked that setting some time ago but sadly it doesn't help.

things like google voice or linphone or mx player or latest es file explorer, start and look to be running just fine, but then quit. (and usually the error is related to google framework service). other things like gmail, es task manager, nova launcher, connectbot, terminal, all work fine.

the funny thing is, it's not restricted to applications installed from the play store - e.g. I can install linphone from either f-droid or from the play store, and both f-quit.

I have been too lazy to check things out with catlog (which runs just fine lol)
Oops...then maybe I should stay on StockPlus for a while, as I seldom get any crashes and I get all the Media apps I need (Youtube, Netflix, XBMC).
Guess I need to sit tight if I want a quiet Christmas break
Note 3 4.4.2 Stock
Ouya 1.2.858 RC1 + StockPlus Patch
Kobo Arc10HD 4.2.2 Stock
==========================
Get 5GB (!!!) extra storage space when using this referral link for 15GB free space at copy.com:
https://copy.com?r=fnQPXa for a total of 20GB.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ipse_Tase For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]